Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
Details of Careers New Zealand's legal disclaimer, as well as our privacy, security and copyright policies.
Using our website – legal disclaimer
Careers New Zealand website is designed to help you make better informed work, training and career decisions. However, we recommend that you also refer to other sources of information, such as relevant training providers or professional or trade organisations before making any decisions about your career.
Although Careers New Zealand makes every effort to ensure that all material on our website is reliable and accurate at the time of publishing, Careers New Zealand cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Use of our website is at your own risk.
Careers New Zealand provides links to other websites when we consider that you may be interested in what they have to offer. We do not necessarily endorse those websites or their content and we have no control over the conduct of the companies or organisations operating those websites.
Changes to the website
Careers New Zealand may change, suspend or discontinue any aspect of the website at any time, including any service or content offered by or through this website.
Careers New Zealand's publications and the material on our website are protected by New Zealand copyright. Unless otherwise indicated, copyright material on this website is owned by Careers New Zealand.
Where copyright material is owned by a third party, it will be indicated.
Content for personal use
You may reproduce this material in any format or media solely for your personal use, free of charge, without obtaining our specific permission to do so, as long as you acknowledge the source and copyright status of the material. However, you must not:
- sell or distribute any material on a commercial basis
- alter any material or use it in a misleading manner
- alter, use or distribute any material not covered by Careers New Zealand's copyright.
The content on this website is continuously updated to ensure that our information and advice reflects current careers and employment practices and trends. For this reason, we recommend that you link to our website to ensure you are getting the most up-to-date version of our content.
If you do wish to publish or issue material from our publications or website for commercial use, you must first obtain written permission from Careers New Zealand.
Please contact our marketing and communications department with your copyright request. You can do this by phoning 0800 222 733, or emailing email@example.com.
This privacy statement applies to personal and other information collected on Careers New Zealand website, www.careers.govt.nz.
Collection of personal information
We may collect your personal information in the following circumstances:
- when you complete forms on this website (including surveys, search forms, competition entry forms, registration forms, and other forms)
- when you create, modify, or use any accounts or registered user facilities available through this website
- in the course of receiving questions, comments or other communications from you; and
- as you navigate through this website, certain information may be passively collected (that is, gathered without your active participation) using various technologies and means, such as Internet Protocol addresses, cookies, internet tags, and navigational data collection. Information collected may include server addresses, top-level domain names, dates and times of visits to the website, pages accessed and documents downloaded, previous websites visited and the type of browser used.
Use of your information
The personal information we collect will be used to operate this website, to assist you with your career planning, to provide you with services that you have authorised and requested, and to provide you with advice and information that we consider may assist you. We may also use personal information collected by us to:
- respond to any questions or correspondence from you
- improve this website and any related services
- carry out internal research and development
- provide you with information about a service that you are using (including critical updates and announcements)
- eliminate the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information
- customise this website to suit your particular preferences and interests
- where you create a message using this website (for the purpose of sending that message to us, or to any other recipient specified by you), send that message
- analyse website usage, trends and statistics
- with your permission, supply you with further information concerning products and services that we consider to be of interest to you; or
- carry out any other use that is authorised by you or is notified to you at the time of collection.
- we have give you notification of the intended use or disclosure and you have not objected to that use or disclosure
- we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the rights or property of Careers New Zealand (including, without limitation, employees or contractors of Careers New Zealand), to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of you, us, or others
- we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance or their functions
- we are required or permitted by law to disclose the information.
Confidentiality and security of information you supply
We will take every reasonable precaution to ensure your personal information is stored securely and cannot be accessed by others. However, you should be aware that there are inherent risks associated with the transmission of personal information across the internet.
Access to users’ personal information
You are entitled to access, request or correct the personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting our privacy officer as follows:
- by contacting Careers New Zealand via phone, chat or email
- by writing to:
The Privacy Officer
Careers New Zealand
PO Box 9446
To ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up to date, please notify our privacy officer of any changes to your personal details as soon as possible.
Account security – your responsibilities
As a part of registration we will provide you with a username and password. You are responsible for:
- keeping your username and password confidential;
- protecting and securing your username and password from unauthorised access and use;
- protecting your computing environment from unauthorised access, viruses, and malicious software.
Visitor material and conduct
You and other users may contribute material to the website. You agree that Careers New Zealand is granted a licence to use, reproduce, publish and distribute any contributions that you make to the website. You must use the website (including any contributions to the website) for proper purposes only. Careers New Zealand reserves the right to moderate (including editing and/or deleting) material contributed by you or other users. We reserve the right to remove any material that we consider to be unacceptable, including where the material consists of some or all of the following:
- Defamatory statements;
- Obscene language;
- Other potentially offensive or illegal material.
Warranty for material contributed by you
You warrant that if you contribute third party copyright content to the website in any manner, that you have the right to use any such material and to grant us the licence provided under the heading ‘Visitor material and conduct’.
Contributors’ views are their own
Views or opinions expressed on the website are not necessarily endorsed by Careers New Zealand, and their publication on the website shall not be taken as an endorsement of any kind.
Banning abusive commenters or for unacceptable use
Careers New Zealand reserves the right to terminate a user’s ability to log-in or contribute material to the website if we determine that the user is using the website for unacceptable purposes or if the user has contributed material that is abusive or otherwise damaging to Careers New Zealand.
Standards of Integrity and Conduct
Government employees who participate on the site are reminded of their obligations under the Standards of Integrity and Conduct.
About the figures and diagrams in our job information
Pay information is provided as a guide only. People's individual pay rates may vary according to their skills, experience and qualifications and their employer.
Sources we use may include:
- published data on pay rates, such as Multi-Employer Collective Agreements
- Statistics New Zealand’s population census data
- minimum pay rates published by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- surveys carried out within occupations or by recruitment firms
- pay information in job advertisements on job vacancy websites
- interviews with people involved with training, industry bodies, and employers.
Information in the "Job opportunities" section
The chances gauge shows our estimate of the demand for staff in a particular occupation – as at the last updated date, which appears at the bottom of the page.
- whether job numbers are growing or shrinking
- how much staff turnover there is in an occupation
- whether the occupation is on a skills shortage list
- how the supply of graduates or trainees compares with the demand for workers
- Careers New Zealand research, including interviews with people involved with training, industry bodies, and employers.
"How many people are doing this job?" infographic numbers
Most job numbers are estimates only.
Unless indicated in source information, data is based on detailed employment estimates developed by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, using information from Statistics New Zealand’s:
- Linked Employer-Employee Data
- Household Labour Force Survey.
If we have used another source, this is shown below the job numbers.
"Current vacancies" information and job vacancies map
Information in the "Current vacancies" section, and the "Job vacancies by region" map is drawn from Trade Me Jobs.
A number of jobs, such as some medical jobs, are only advertised on specialist job vacancy sites.
We value your comments and opinions. If you have comments, questions or complaints about any of our services or website policies please contact Careers New Zealand.
Please include your email address or a daytime telephone number where we can contact you.