- Hays, 'Selective Insights to Inform - The 2013 Hays Salary Guide: Salary & Recruiting Trends,' accessed April 2013 (www1.hays.net.nz).
- Lloyd, E, Association of Administrative Professionals NZ Inc, Professional Development Subcommittee chairman, Careers New Zealand interview, May 2010.
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, '2003-2012 Occupational Data' (prepared for Careers New Zealand), 2013.
Āpiha Whakahaere Mahi
Administration officers perform a range of administrative tasks to ensure an organisation runs efficiently.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
What are the chances of getting a job?
Experienced administration officers are in demand because:
- increasing turnover of administration officers as the economy picks up
- employers want administration officers who can multi-task and help their organisation save money, for instance with purchasing plans
- positions are becoming available in government organisations after restructuring.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment estimates that numbers of administration officers has grown by about 5 percent in the last two years.
Opportunities for new administration officers who are willing to start in temporary roles
Although opportunities are poor for new administration officers, entry level positions still become available as some employers prefer to train a new staff member at a lower pay rate than pay more for an experienced worker.
If you are new to this work, you may need to start with a part-time or temporary administration role to demonstrate your worth to an employer.
Many organisations employ administration officers
Most organisations employ administration staff, so you can work for a variety of employers including:
- private businesses
- government departments
- the armed forces
- legal offices.
|Customer Services Officer Listed: 06 Mar 2014||Bay Of Plenty|
|Lending Documentation Officer Listed: 03 Mar 2014||Auckland|
|Sales Support Administrator Listed: 28 Feb 2014||Waikato|
|Administrator, National Commerical Team Listed: 26 Feb 2014||Canterbury|
|Finance Officer Listed: 25 Feb 2014||Canterbury|
|Community Administration Officer Listed: 07 Mar 2014||Wellington|
|Administration Officer Listed: 06 Mar 2014||Auckland|
Other vacancy websites
- Alpha Recruitment - A recruitment company specialising in executive roles
- NZ Government Jobs Online - Search jobs.govt.nz for State sector vacancies
- 9am People - Top job listings
- My Job Space - View MyJobSpace's administration jobs
- SEEK - View SEEK's administration jobs
- Student Job Search - View Student Job Search's administration jobs
- Trade Me - View Trade Me's administration jobs
- Q Jumpers - Browse job vacancies
- Able Personnel Services - Hawkes Bay job listings
- Mahi.co.nz - Lists Maori-focused positions
- New Kiwis - Search job vacancies
- Otago Daily Times - Search job vacancies
- Madison Recruitment - Search job vacancies
- Team Recruitment - Search job vacancies
- Manpower - Search job vacancies
- Drake International - Search job vacancies at Drake International
- Hays Recruitment - Search for job vacancies
- Enterprise Recruitment - Search job vacancies at Enterprise Recruitment
- Jobseeker - Search many vacancy sites at once with Jobseeker
- Work and Income New Zealand - Search Work and Income job vacancies
Progression and specialisations
Administration officers often progress into other administrative positions that have more responsibility, such as personal or executive assistant, or office manager.
Administration skills, such as time management, communication, and prioritising and delegating tasks, can be transferred to other roles, such as event manager or project manager.
How many people are doing this job?
Job vacancies by region
Updated 17 Dec 2013