Customs/Freight BrokerAlternative titles
This job is sometimes referred to as:
- Customs Broker
Customs/freight brokers arrange the clearance and collection of imported cargo from customs and bond stores, and the shipment of cargo for export.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
There are no specific entry requirements to become a freight broker. However, most employers prefer candidates who have a qualification recognised by Tranzqual, such as a National Certificate in Distribution.
To operate as a customs broker you need to be able to lodge documentation with New Zealand Customs, which requires a New Zealand Customs Unique User Identifier (UUI), commonly known as a Personal Identification Number (PIN).
To gain PIN accreditation, you need to achieve at least an 80% pass in three exams run by the Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Federation of New Zealand (CBAFF). The CBAFF run three courses to prepare applicants for the exams.
- New Zealand Motor Industry Training Organisation (MITO) website - warehousing and logistics qualifications
- Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Federation of New Zealand website - information on PIN accreditation
- Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Association of New Zealand website - information on training
NCEA Level 1 English and maths are preferred for customs/freight brokers, as spelling and the ability to make calculations are an important part of the job.
It is recommended that applicants to CBAFF courses have NCEA Level 3 English and maths qualifications.
Customs/freight brokers need to be:
- accurate and well organised
- inquiring and willing to learn while they are working
- able to work well under pressure and make decisions quickly
- good communicators and able to gain people's trust and keep information private.
Useful experience for customs/freight brokers includes:
- working for a shipping line or importer/exporter
- work in customs
- courier work
- office or accounts work
- warehouse and stores work.
View information on courses in the course database
Updated 22 May 2013