- Hays, '2013 Hays Salary Guide', (www.hays.net.nz).
- Hays,' 2014 April - June Quarterly Report - Office Support', (www.hays.net.nz).
- Hudson '2014 Office Support Salary and Employment Insights', (www.hudson.com).
- Michael Page, 'Salary and Employment Forecast 2013/14 - Office Support', (www.michaelpage.co.nz).
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, ‘2003-2012 Occupation Data’ (prepared for Careers New Zealand), 2012.
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, ‘2014 Occupational Outlook - Receptionists’ , 2014.
- Robert Walters, '2014 Forecast Overview - Secretarial and Business Support', (www.robertwalters.co.nz).
This job is sometimes referred to as:
- Admissions Officer
- Hospital Receptionist
- Hotel/Motel Receptionist
- Receptionist (Medical/Dental)
Receptionists greet visitors and clients and deal with enquiries and requests. Their work includes scheduling appointments, keeping records, and doing other administration tasks.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
What are the chances of getting a job?
Vacancies regularly arise because it is a large occupation employing thousands of workers, and people often stay in a role for a short time. However, vacancies often attract high numbers of applicants.
According to Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment estimates, the number of receptionists remained fairly stable between 2010 and 2012 and is expected to remain stable to 2016.
Types of employers
Receptionists work for many types of organisations in the private and public sector, including:
- hotels and motels
- doctors' and dentists' clinics
- public and private hospitals
- various businesses
- government departments.
|PA's & Secretaries! Can't Get Enough of You! Listed: 15 Aug 2014||Wellington|
|Receptionists - First in Frontline! Listed: 15 Aug 2014||Wellington|
|Medical Receptionist Listed: 28 Aug 2014||Auckland|
|Bar Staff and Receptionist for AKL or WGN Listed: 19 Aug 2014||Auckland|
|Casual Medical Receptionist Listed: 29 Aug 2014||Auckland|
|Customer Service and Administration Support Listed: 29 Aug 2014||Canterbury|
|Receptionist Listed: 29 Aug 2014||Auckland|
Other vacancy websites
- Alpha Recruitment - A recruitment company specialising in executive roles
- NZ Government Jobs Online - Search jobs.govt.nz for State sector vacancies
- My Job Space - View MyJobSpace's administration jobs
- SEEK - View SEEK's administration jobs
- Student Job Search - View Student Job Search's administration jobs
- Trade Me - View Trade Me's administration jobs
- Q Jumpers - Browse job vacancies
- Able Personnel Services - Hawkes Bay job listings
- Mahi.co.nz - Lists Maori-focused positions
- New Kiwis - Search job vacancies
- Otago Daily Times - Search job vacancies
- Madison Recruitment - Search job vacancies
- Manpower - Search job vacancies
- Enterprise Recruitment - Search job vacancies at Enterprise Recruitment
- Jobseeker - Search many vacancy sites at once with Jobseeker
- Work and Income New Zealand - Search Work and Income job vacancies
Progression and specialisations
Receptionists can move into other roles in the organisation or hospital where they work, such as:
- administration officer
- clinical coder
- personal assistant
- medical records officer
- medical typist.
Receptionists may specialise in working in a particular area, such as:
- Admissions officer
- Admissions officers greet hospital patients and organise their admission and discharge.
- Hotel/Motel Receptionist
- Hotel and motel receptionists greet and assist guests.
- Medical/Dental Receptionist
- Medical and dental receptionists work in doctors' or dental surgeries, hospitals, or private clinics.
How many people are doing this job?
Job vacancies by region
Updated 28 Apr 2014