- Beech, C, team leader, National Transcription Centre, Wellington, Career Services interview, 15 May 2008.
- Hays, "The 2013 Hays Salary Guide", (www.hays.net.nz), accessed September 2013.
- HealthCareers website, accessed September 2013, (www.healthcareers.org.nz).
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, '2003-2013 Occupational Data' (prepared for Careers New Zealand), 2013.
- Ministry of Justice Careers website, accessed September 2013, (careers.justice.govt.nz).
Data Entry Operator/TranscriptionistAlternative titles
Ringa Patopato/Kaiwhakauru Raraunga
This job is sometimes referred to as:
- Keyboard Operator
- Dictaphone Typist
- Medical Typist
- Court Reporter
Data entry operators/transcriptionists transcribe and copy information that is spoken or written.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
What are the chances of getting a job?
The number of data entry operators/transcriptionists declined by about 40% in the last two years, according to Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment estimates.
The decline is because increased use of automated data entry and voice recognition software has reduced the need for people in the role.
However, even though the number of workers is down, positions still regularly become available because people often do not stay in the job for long.
Higher demand for medical typists
When vacancies come up for medical typists, employers often find it hard to get people with the necessary skills.
However, vacancies do not come up often, as turnover is low in this speciality, and the field is small.
Varied employers of data entry operators and transcriptionists
Data entry operators/transcriptionists may work for:
- government departments
- private businesses
- hospitals and private medical practices.
|Experienced legal personal assistant Listed: 11 Aug 2014||Nelson / Tasman|
|Caregiver / Personal Assistant Listed: 08 Aug 2014||Auckland|
|PA's & Secretaries! Can't Get Enough of You! Listed: 15 Aug 2014||Wellington|
|Personal Assistant Listed: 23 Jul 2014||Auckland|
|Work hard and be rewarded generously!!!! Listed: 23 Jul 2014||Canterbury|
|Suit Hire Sales Assistant Listed: 19 Aug 2014||Canterbury|
|Executive Assistant Listed: 19 Aug 2014||Nelson / Tasman|
Other vacancy websites
- Alpha Recruitment - A recruitment company specialising in executive roles
- Ministry of Justice Careers website - Search for court reporter vacancies
- Kiwi Health Jobs website - Search for medical typist vacancies
- NZ Government Jobs Online - Search jobs.govt.nz for State sector vacancies
- 9am People - Top job listings
- My Job Space - View MyJobSpace's administration jobs
- Search4Jobs - View Search4Jobs' administration jobs
- SEEK - View SEEK's administration jobs
- Student Job Search - View Student Job Search's administration jobs
- Trade Me - View Trade Me's administration jobs
- ICG Consulting - Browse job vacancies
- Q Jumpers - Browse job vacancies
- Able Personnel Services - Hawkes Bay job listings
- Mahi.co.nz - Lists Maori-focused positions
- New Kiwis - Search job vacancies
- Otago Daily Times - Search job vacancies
- Madison Recruitment - Search job vacancies
- Team Recruitment - Search job vacancies
- Manpower - Search job vacancies
- Drake International - Search job vacancies at Drake International
- Enterprise Recruitment - Search job vacancies at Enterprise Recruitment
- Jobseeker - Search many vacancy sites at once with Jobseeker
- Work and Income New Zealand - Search Work and Income job vacancies
Progression and specialisations
Data entry operators/transcriptionist can progress to working as a personal or executive assistant.
Data entry operators/transcriptionists can specialise as a:
- Court Reporter
- Court reporters take down verbatim (word for word) all the evidence, comments and decisions made in court hearings, during the court proceedings or after they have been held.
- Medical Typist
- Medical typists transcribe medical information, or type from dictations by health professionals, edit and check the content to make sure it is accurate.
How many people are doing this job?
Job vacancies by region
Updated 28 Apr 2014