- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, '2003-2012 Occupation Data' (prepared for Careers New Zealand), 2012.
- Waugh, K, Membership Secretary, NZ Veterinary Nursing Association, April 2014, (www.nzvna.org.nz).
Veterinary NurseAlternative titles
This job is sometimes referred to as:
- Animal Nurse
- Rural Animal Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Veterinary Technologist
Veterinary nurses help in the examination, treatment and rehabilitation of sick and injured animals. They also interact with clients and perform receptionist duties.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
What are the chances of getting a job?
According to Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment estimates, the number of veterinary nurses has remained fairly stable since 2008.
Chances of getting a job as a veterinary nurse are significantly increased if you have a relevant certificate or a diploma.
Work opportunities are best in large urban areas, especially Auckland, with more opportunities for rural animal technicians in rural areas.
Most veterinary nurses work at veterinary practices
Nearly all veterinary nurses work at veterinary practices. New Zealand has about 800 veterinary practices, ranging from small practices employing one or two veterinary nurses to larger practices with up to 20 staff. Other employers include:
- companies that sell animal and veterinary products
- educational institutes
- Government agencies, such as the Department of Conservation and Ministry for Primary Industries
- kennels and catteries
- animal shelters
- pet stores
- organisations involved in animal research.
Some veterinary nurses are self-employed.
|Dog Care Listed: 12 Aug 2014||Auckland|
|Veterinary Nurse - Join our wonderful team! Listed: 27 Aug 2014||Auckland|
|Veterinary Nurse/Customer Service Listed: 25 Aug 2014||Auckland|
|Veterinary Receptionist / Nurse Geraldine Listed: 19 Aug 2014||Canterbury|
|Veterinary Nurse Reception Mon-Fri Part-time Listed: 19 Aug 2014||Auckland|
|Veterinary Nurse/Customer Service Listed: 11 Aug 2014||Auckland|
|Vet Nurse / Receptionist Listed: 21 Aug 2014||Wellington|
Other vacancy websites
- NZ Veterinary Nursing association - job vacancy noticeboard for vet nurses
- SEEK - View SEEK's veterinary jobs
- Trade Me - View Trade Me's veterinary jobs
Progression and specialisations
Veterinary nurses can move into related occupations, such as animal pharmaceutical sales and laboratory work, or progress into management positions.
They may also do further training to become rural animal technicians, veterinary technologists or veterinarians.
How many people are doing this job?
Job vacancies by region
Updated 8 Apr 2014