- Furniture Association of New Zealand Inc, 'Furniture Newsletter May 2010', 2010.
- Ministry of Business,Innovation and Employment, '2003-2012 Occupation Data’ (prepared for Careers New Zealand), 2012.
- Trought, D, national careers manager, FITEC, Careers New Zealand Interview, July 2010.
Cabinet MakerAlternative titles
Kaihanga Kapata Taonga
This job is sometimes referred to as:
- Furniture Maker
- Marine Cabinet Maker
Cabinet makers make and repair furniture for homes, businesses and boats.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
What are the chances of getting a job?
Job opportunities for skilled cabinet makers are improving after the 2008/2009 recession, which saw the number of people employed in the furniture-making industry decline. The number of cabinet makers has now increased slightly, going from 2,730 in March 2009 to 2,776 in March 2012, according to Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment estimates.
Limited number of cabinet maker apprenticeships available
Most furniture manufacturing stores employ only a few cabinet makers and can take on new apprentices only when the business expands or an employee leaves. Chances of getting a job are usually better at large-scale furniture manufacturers.
Opportunities in other industries for experienced cabinet makers
Experienced cabinet makers can use their skills in kitchen fitting, shop fitting and boat building with little further training. Increasing numbers of cabinet makers are making the move into such roles due to better work opportunties.
Types of employers
Cabinet makers work for:
- large furniture manufacturing plants
- small specialist furniture businesses.
Many cabinet makers run their own businesses or work as sole traders from home.
|Calling All Joiners! Listed: 23 Jul 2014||Otago|
|Cabinet Makers Listed: 17 Jul 2014||Auckland|
|Head Chef for Mon-Fri Takapuna Cafe Listed: 10 Jul 2014||Auckland|
|Cabinet Maker/Installer Listed: 22 Jul 2014||Auckland|
|Cabinet Maker/Installer Listed: 21 Jul 2014||Auckland|
|Cabinet Maker Listed: 18 Jul 2014||Auckland|
|Cabinet Maker Listed: 16 Jul 2014||Auckland|
Other vacancy websites
- Jobs.co.nz - Search for jobs in a range of interest areas
- My Job Space - View MyJobSpace's construction and architecture jobs
- Search4Jobs - View Search4Jobs' construction and architecture jobs
- SEEK - View SEEK's construction jobs
- Student Job Search - View Student Job Search's trade jobs
- Trade Me - View Trade Me's construction jobs
- Q Jumpers - Browse job vacancies
- Able Personnel Services - Hawkes Bay job listings
- Otago Daily Times - Search job vacancies
- Team Recruitment - Search job vacancies
- Manpower - Search job vacancies
- Jobseeker - Search many vacancy sites at once with Jobseeker
- Work and Income New Zealand - Search Work and Income job vacancies
Progression and specialisations
Cabinet makers can progress into supervisor or management roles, or become self-employed.
Cabinet makers may specialise in marine cabinets for boats, ships and yachts.
How many people are doing this job?
Job vacancies by region
Updated 21 Mar 2014