- Ministry of Innovation, Business and Employment, '2003-2012 Occupational Data' (prepared for Careers New Zealand), 2012.
- State Services Commission, 'Human Resource Capability in the New Zealand State Services 2013', accessed November 2013, (www.ssc.govt.nz).
Policy AnalystAlternative titles
This job is sometimes referred to as:
- Policy Adviser
Policy analysts gather and analyse information to assist in the planning, development, interpretation and review of government or industrial policies.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
What are the chances of getting a job?
The tightening of government department budgets has restricted the growth of policy analysts. According to Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment estimates, the number of policy analysts increased by about 3% between 2010 and 2012.
High turnover of policy analysts creates regular openings in public sector
Turnover among policy analysts working in the public sector is among the highest for all public sector jobs. This is because people sometimes shift, either:
- to another part of the public sector, to gain experience
- into the private sector, where they can earn more money.
Most policy analysts employed by government
Most policy analysts work for government departments and organisations, but other employers include:
- local authorities (city and district councils)
- private companies
- unions, community organisations and business or interest groups such as Federated Farmers.
|Senior Policy Analyst Contract / Fixed Term Listed: 18 Dec 2014||Wellington|
Other vacancy websites
- Capital Recruitment - Search for jobs
- JacksonStone & Partners - Search for jobs
- Madison Recruitment - Search for jobs
- Management Search International - Search for jobs
- NZ Government Jobs Online - Search for State sector vacancies
- Powerhouse People - Search for jobs
- RWA People - Search for jobs
- SEEK - View SEEK's government and defence jobs
- Trade Me - View Trade Me's government jobs
- The Johnson Group - Search for jobs
Progression and specialisations
Policy analysts may start off in junior positions before progressing to more senior roles. They may also change between working in the private and public sectors.
How many people are doing this job?
Updated 13 Jan 2014