- Immigration New Zealand, 'Immediate Skill Shortage List', accessed November 2014, (www.immigration.govt.nz).
- Ministry of Health, 'Clinical Coding Services', accessed November 2014,(www.moh.govt.nz).
- Thompson, T, senior analyst classification and terminology, Ministry of Health, Careers New Zealand interview, November 2014.
- Statistics New Zealand, ‘Census of Population and Dwellings 2013’, accessed November 2014 (www.stats.govt.nz)
- Waikato District Health Board, Careers New Zealand interview, November 2014.
Clinical CoderAlternative titles
Kaiwhakararangi Tohu Hauora
This job is sometimes referred to as:
Clinical coders analyse information about diseases, injuries and procedures in patient discharge records and translate medical statements into health classification codes. This information is used to help write policy, monitor performance and produce health statistics.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
What are the chances of getting a job?
District Health Boards prefer to employ trained clinical coders, so your chances of getting a job are better if you have completed relevant training. If you also have experience in addition to qualifications, then job opportunities are very good.
Number of factors contribute to shortage of clinical coders
The shortage of qualified clinical coders is due to:
- increased hospital admissions because of New Zealand's growing and ageing population
- increased government funding for elective surgical services
- experienced clinical coders taking up better paid positions in other countries
- an ageing workforce, with more than a third of clinical coders over the age of 55, and due to retire in the next 10 years.
Clinical coder appears on Immigration New Zealand's immediate skills shortage list, which means the Government is actively encouraging skilled clinical coders from overseas to work in New Zealand.
Public hospitals the main employer of clinical coders
Most clinical coders work at public hospitals, with the majority of positions at larger hospitals. Smaller hospitals may only employ one clinical coder, and that person may only work part time.
Clinical coders can also work for the Ministry of Health or private health care providers.
|Clinical Coder Auditor & Educator Listed: 28 Nov 2014||Wellington|
Other vacancy websites
Progression and specialisations
Clinical coders can progress within hospitals to become auditors, data analysts, clinical coding team leaders, or clinical records and/or coding managers.
How many people are doing this job?
No numbers available
Updated 24 Nov 2014