- Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Board, ‘Annual Report 2011-12', 2013, (www.opticiansboard.org.nz).
- Riley, L, registrar, Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Board, Careers New Zealand interview, November 2013.
Optometrists examine clients' eyes to diagnose vision problems and eye diseases. They provide correction and other treatment when required.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
What are the chances of getting a job?
According to the Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Board, the number of registered, practising optometrists remained stable between 2010 and 2012. However, there are not enough optometrists to fill all vacancies, and demand for optometrists is strong.
Range of factors contribute to rising demand for optometrists
The high demand for optometrists is due to:
- growing demand from an ageing population, as people's eyesight tends to get worse as they age
- increasing short-sightedness in the general population, possibly due to increasing use of computers
- fewer people training to be optometrists
- some qualified New Zealand optometrists moving overseas, where they often get better pay.
Most optometrists work in private businesses
Optometrists mainly work in private businesses. They can set up their own practice or become partners at existing practices.
|Optical Receptionist Listed: 27 Feb 2014||Otago|
|OPSM Roster Coordinator Auckland Listed: 11 Mar 2014||Auckland|
|OPSM Gisborne - Receptionist & Optical Assistant Listed: 06 Mar 2014||Gisborne|
|OPSM - Full time Store Associate - Bayfair Listed: 03 Mar 2014||Bay Of Plenty|
|OPSM - Part Time Store Associate - Queenstown Listed: 03 Mar 2014||Otago|
|OPSM NZ - Casual Store Associate - Dunedin Listed: 03 Mar 2014||Otago|
|OPSM NZ - Store Manager - Merivale Listed: 03 Mar 2014||Canterbury|
Other vacancy websites
- Kiwi Health Jobs - Kiwi Health Jobs website - find health job vacancies
- Association of Salaried Medical Specialists - Recent job listings
- NZ Government Jobs Online - Search jobs.govt.nz for State sector vacancies
- My Job Space - View MyJobSpace's health and medical jobs
- SEEK - View SEEK's healthcare jobs
- Trade Me - View Trade Me's healthcare jobs
- New Kiwis - Search job vacancies
- Otago Daily Times - Search job vacancies
- Madison Recruitment - Search job vacancies
- Jobseeker - Search many vacancy sites at once with Jobseeker
Progression and specialisations
Optometrists can progress into management positions or set up their own practices. They can also take up academic positions in teaching or research, or work in the optical industry as suppliers of optical equipment.
Optometrists can specialise in a range of areas including contact lenses, diabetic screening, geriatric vision and children's eye care.
How many people are doing this job?
Updated 20 Jan 2014