- ATTTO, 'Approved Destination Status (ADS) Graduation', accessed March 2009, (www.attto.org.nz).
- Button, G, programme co-ordinator ecotourism, Te Tai Poutini Polytechnic, Careers New Zealand interview, October 2010.
- Department of Labour, ‘2003-2012 Occupation Data’ (prepared for Careers New Zealand), 2012.
- Inbound Tour Operators Council, 'Annual Report 2010', 2010, (www.itoc.org.nz).
- Tourism New Zealand, 'Key Tourism Statistics', 21 October 2010, (www.tourismnewzealand.com).
Kaiārahi Rōpū Haere
Tour guides escort people on sightseeing, educational or other tours, and describe points of interest.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
What are the chances of getting a job?
According to Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment estimates, the number of tour and museum guides decreased by about 3% between 2010 and 2012.
Summer best for finding work
It is easier to get work between November and April, when more tourists visit New Zealand, but those jobs are often casual, and the amount of work depends on bookings. Little work is available in New Zealand for full-time guides between May and October.
Communication skills and foreign languages help your chances of getting work
Employers prefer tour guides who have:
- a good knowledge of New Zealand history, geography and culture
- the ability to convey this knowledge appealingly to a wide range of clients
- some ability to speak a foreign language.
Employers of tour guides include:
- private tour companies
- wildlife sanctuaries and some government departments, such as the Department of Conservation (ecotour guides).
Tour guides may run their own businesses and market their services directly to the public, or to tour companies.
|Zipline Guide- Rotorua Canopy Tours Listed: 11 Apr 2014||Bay Of Plenty|
|Queenstown Ski Bus Drivers Listed: 07 Apr 2014||Otago|
|Central Plateau Programme Coordinator Listed: 28 Mar 2014||Auckland|
|Tour Guide and Website Manager Listed: 15 Apr 2014||Auckland|
|Tour Guide & Outdoors Guide Listed: 23 Mar 2014||Otago|
|Adventure Travel Guide & Driver: Summer 2014/15 Listed: 17 Apr 2014||Otago|
|GUIDE / CUSTOMER SERVICE Listed: 14 Apr 2014||Bay Of Plenty|
Other vacancy websites
- Jobs.co.nz - Search for jobs in a range of interest areas
- Talent Capital - Search for not-for-profit and socially responsible jobs
- Air New Zealand - Search job vacancies
- Buzz Boutique Specialist Recruitment - View Buzz Recruitment's tourism jobs
- My Job Space - View MyJobSpace's hospitality and tourism jobs
- Search4Jobs - View Search4Jobs' travel and tourism jobs
- SEEK - View SEEK's hospitality and tourism jobs
- Trade Me - View Trade Me's hospitality and tourism jobs
- ICG Consulting - Browse job vacancies
- Q Jumpers - Browse job vacancies
- Able Personnel Services - Hawkes Bay job listings
- Mahi.co.nz - Lists Maori-focused positions
- New Kiwis - Search job vacancies
- Otago Daily Times - Search job vacancies
- Madison Recruitment - Search job vacancies
- Team Recruitment - Search job vacancies
- Manpower - Search job vacancies
- Drake International - Search job vacancies at Drake International
- Enterprise Recruitment - Search job vacancies at Enterprise Recruitment
- Jobseeker - Search many vacancy sites at once with Jobseeker
- Work and Income New Zealand - Search Work and Income job vacancies
Progression and specialisations
Tour guides can go on to work as:
- consultants to tourism businesses
- managers, marketers or owners of tourism businesses
- tour package co-ordinators.
How many people are doing this job?
Job vacancies by region
Updated 16 Apr 2014