- Department of Labour, ‘2003-2013 Occupation Data’ (prepared for Careers New Zealand), 2013.
- ProGuides New Zealand website, accessed June 2014, (www.proguides.co.nz).
- Tourism New Zealand website, accessed June 2014, (www.tourismnewzealand.com).
Kaiārahi Rōpū Haere
Tour guides escort people on sightseeing, educational or other tours, and describe points of interest.
Contact usCall us on 0800 222 733
What are the chances of getting a job?
According to Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment estimates, the number of tour and museum guides decreased by about 3% between 2010 and 2012.
Summer best for finding work
It is easier to get work between November and April, when more tourists visit New Zealand, but those jobs are often casual, and the amount of work depends on bookings. Little work is available in New Zealand for full-time guides between May and October.
Communication skills and foreign languages help your chances of getting work
Employers prefer tour guides who have:
- a good knowledge of New Zealand history, geography and culture
- the ability to convey this knowledge appealingly to a wide range of clients
- some ability to speak a foreign language.
Employers of tour guides include:
- private tour companies
- wildlife sanctuaries and some government departments, such as the Department of Conservation (ecotour guides).
Tour guides may run their own businesses and market their services directly to the public, or to tour companies.
|Tour Guide Listed: 27 Oct 2014||Nelson / Tasman|
|Tour Coach Driver Listed: 09 Oct 2014||Canterbury|
|Adventure Abseil & Caving Guide Listed: 05 Oct 2014||Waikato|
|Cave Rafting Guide Listed: 03 Oct 2014||Waikato|
|Travel & Tourism Tutor - Hastings Listed: 22 Oct 2014||Hawke's Bay|
|Cultural Exchange Program Listed: 07 Oct 2014||Wellington|
|Cultural Exchange Program Listed: 07 Oct 2014||Auckland|
Other vacancy websites
- Air New Zealand - Search job vacancies
- My Job Space - View MyJobSpace's hospitality and tourism jobs
- SEEK - View SEEK's hospitality and tourism jobs
- Trade Me - View Trade Me's hospitality and tourism jobs
- Q Jumpers - Browse job vacancies
- Mahi.co.nz - Lists Maori-focused positions
- New Kiwis - Search job vacancies
- Otago Daily Times - Search job vacancies
- Madison Recruitment - Search job vacancies
- Enterprise Recruitment - Search job vacancies at Enterprise Recruitment
- Jobseeker - Search many vacancy sites at once with Jobseeker
- Work and Income New Zealand - Search Work and Income job vacancies
Progression and specialisations
Tour guides can go on to work as:
- consultants to tourism businesses
- managers, marketers or owners of tourism businesses
- tour package co-ordinators.
How many people are doing this job?
Job vacancies by region
Updated 23 Jul 2014