Helpful links to find work and support
Useful information to get you through the changes to work and study caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The COVID-19 pandemic disrupted our work, study and training.
At Level 1 you might be looking for a new job, or want to take advantage of free training into a new career.
We've gathered links to information and agencies that can help you get through the changes.
He waka eke noa. We are in this together.
Jobs that are in demand right now
Some essential services are in need of workers.
Jobs with the government
The Government has public service jobs dealing with the COVID-19 response, as well as office roles.
Jobs in health
The Ministry of Health is looking for people to register their interest in work to help with the COVID-19 response.
- Association of Salaried Medical Specialists - vacancies for senior medical and dental staff
- BeeFound website - health jobs
- Care Direct website - healthcare and nursing roles
- Carefinder - jobs in elderly care
- Carejobz website - caring and medical jobs
- Endorse Jobs website - medical and care jobs
- Healthcare New Zealand website - find jobs in health
- Kiwi Health Jobs website - register your interest
Jobs in food and fibre
There are jobs in food and fibre, such as picking and packing fruit and vegetables.
Short-term seasonal jobs in industries such as food and fibre.
Possible jobs in demand
There may be an increase in these jobs:
Jobs are available in these industries:
- construction and infrastructure
- food and fibre (for example: farming, pruning grapevines)
- information technology
- transport and warehousing.
These links will take you through to what you need to train in for these jobs.
Find jobs in all these industries
How to find a job
Check out how to find work, make a CV and cover letter, apply for jobs and get interview tips in our job hunting section:
Download our interactive job hunting workbook for the latest job hunting information:
Recover, build confidence after redundancy and learn more about job hunting:
Information for tertiary students and apprentices
Our website tec.govt.nz has information for all tertiary learners such as students and apprentices:
Information on renting
Information on student loans and allowances
Fees free and scholarships for tertiary study and training
Upskilling or retraining into a new career might be a good option if you've lost your job.
You might be eligible for free study or training fees or a scholarship towards your fees and living costs.
There are fees free training options for apprenticeships.
Find out how you can pay for your study and training:
Information for business owners and workers
Employment New Zealand has information on your rights as a worker and employer:
- Employment NZ website - COVID-19 and the workplace
- Employment NZ website - COVID-19 Leave Support Scheme
- Employment NZ website - COVID-19 Wage Subsidy Scheme
- Employment NZ website - your rights and responsibilities
Other New Zealand Government websites:
- Unite for recovery website - financial support information
- Unite for recovery website - financial support information for employees and businesses
- WorkSafe website - for health and safety information
- Business.govt.nz - updates about COVID-19 and guidance to help businesses
Support for food and fibre workers
Information for landlords and tenants
Support for retail businesses
Support for tourism businesses and workers
Information on money
Find information on how you can get financial support, such as redundancy support, student loans and allowances, tax relief and wage subsidies:
Looking after your mental health
Naku te rourou nau te rourou ka ora ai te iwi. With your basket and my basket the people will thrive.
Here is information from our basket to help you look after your mental health.
Unite for the recovery information
Get general information and answers to questions about COVID-19, support for your mental health and finding work:
Updated 28 Jan 2021