Overview of employment
Recent statistics on employment.
Note that as the current economic situation is changing daily, our information is also subject to change.
According to Stats NZ, as of 5 November 2020 there are:
- 2,709,000 employed
- 151,000 unemployed.
Statistics on changes to the labour market
According to Stats NZ filled jobs for all industries fell by 0.3%.
These major industries saw changes in filled jobs:
- primary industries – down 2.1% (2,137 jobs)
- goods-producing industries – up 0.1% (615 jobs)
- services industries – down 0.4% (5,896 jobs).
This is a change from the June quarter when filled jobs for all industries rose.
Regions with rise in filled jobs
Stats NZ reports these regions saw the biggest change in filled jobs:
- Auckland – down 0.3% (2,161 jobs)
- Bay of Plenty – down 0.9% (1,175 jobs)
- Otago – down 0.7% (740 jobs).
Number of hours worked drops
Stats NZ reports a fall in the number of hours worked. Hours in the June 2020 quarter fell by 10.3% compared with the April quarter. Hours worked fell by 9.1% compared to the June 2019 quarter.
Paid hours fell by 1.9% compared to June 2019 paid hours.
Stats NZ says this is the biggest drop in paid hours since 2009.
- Stats NZ, 'Employment Indicators June 2020', 28 July 2020, (www.stats.govt.nz).
- Stats NZ, 'Employment Indicators July 2020', 28 August 2020, (www.stats.govt.nz).
- Stats NZ, 'Employment Rate', 4 November 2020, (www.stats.govt.nz).
- Stats NZ, 'Labour Market Statistics: June 2020 Quarter', 5 August 2020, (www.stats.govt.nz).
- Stats NZ, 'Unemployment Rate', 6 March 2020, (www.stats.govt.nz).
Updated 5 Nov 2020