Overview of employment
Recent statistics on employment.
Note that as the current economic situation is changing daily, our information is also subject to change.
According to Stats NZ, as of 5 August 2020 there are:
- 2,665,000 employed
- 111,000 unemployed.
Statistics on changes to the labour market
According to Stats NZ filled jobs for all industries rose by 0.8%.
These major industries saw an increase in filled jobs:
- primary industries – up 1.4% (1,481 jobs)
- goods-producing industries – up 0.5% (2,108 jobs)
- services industries – up 0.8% (13,759 jobs).
This is a change from last quarter when filled jobs were down.
Regions with rise in filled jobs
Stats NZ reports these regions saw the biggest rise in filled jobs:
- Auckland – up 0.4% (3,133 jobs)
- Bay of Plenty – up 1.3% (1,758 jobs)
- Wellington – up 0.7% (1,734 jobs).
Number of hours worked drops
Stats NZ reports a fall in the number of hours worked. Hours in the June 2020 quarter fell by 10.3% compared with the April quarter. Hours worked fell by 9.1% compared to the June 2019 quarter.
Paid hours fell by 1.9% compared to June 2019 paid hours.
Stats NZ says this is the biggest drop in paid hours since 2009.
- Stats NZ, 'Employment Indicators April 2020', 28 May 2020, (www.stats.govt.nz).
- Stats NZ, 'Employment Indicators June 2020', 05 August 2020, (www.stats.govt.nz).
- Stats NZ, 'Employment Rate', 6 March 2020, (www.stats.govt.nz).
- Stats NZ, 'Labour Market Statistics: June 2020 Quarter', 5 August 2020, (www.stats.govt.nz).
- Stats NZ, 'Unemployment Rate', 6 March 2020, (www.stats.govt.nz).
Updated 5 Aug 2020