Māia advice for teachers
Inspire rangatahi with Māia
Careers New Zealand have created Māia – a series of five videos specifically targeted at Māori youth aged 13-19. Each video gives direct insight into the skills our rangatahi need to become part of the thriving Māori economy. The videos cover the key industries of agriculture, construction, health and fitness and creative technology.
How to use Māia in the classroom
The videos are a great way to start career conversations and inspire your students to think about the different roles and opportunities that are available to them when starting out in the workforce. The videos share stories from different industries and contain tips from employers on how young people can become successful in the workplace.
Use the videos to open discussions around:
- the industries shown in the videos and the jobs available in each industry
- the attributes needed to get started in these careers
- the tips given by employers at the end of each video – what skills your students already have and how they can use their time in education to improve these
- employability skills – how your students can show they have a good attitude and the drive to be successful
- the Māia proverb Kia Tū, Kia Māia, Kia Manawanui (Be Brave, Be Bold, Be Determined) – what this means and how it can help your students prepare themselves for the world of work.
Find out more
Updated 31 May 2016