John Wilson Memorial Scholarships
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
The value of the scholarship is $500 - $1,000
Closing dates for applications
Next: 28 February 2022
Closing date for applications is 28 February 2020.
Length of award
Number of awards offered
Purpose of award
To assist students to study a degree course in science at the University of Canterbury. It is intended to include computing and engineering (intermediate) provided there is a good Science component.
Available to students from Christchurch Boy's High School who are proceeding to a degree course in science at Canterbury University.
The awards are made following NCEA Level 3 examination results in consultation with the HOD of Science.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
It is intended to include computing and engineering (intermediate) provided there is a good Science component.
How do students apply?
How to Apply for a 2020 Scholarship
Applications for the Sir Arthur Sims Scholarship, John Wilson Scholarship and ANV Dobbs Scholarship are invited from CBHS Old Boys who meet the criteria. The amount of each scholarship will be determined by the financial performance of the funds in the trust and also on the number of applicants. The values below are an estimate only of amounts available in 2020.
Awards for Extended Scholarships are dependent on students maintaining satisfactory progress and on the university result.
1. Application forms can be obtained from the CBHS website from October (refer links below) or an application form can be collected from the School Office.
2. There is one form for school leavers (first year) and a different form for those who are applying for an extended scholarship for subsequent years of study.
3. You can complete the form electronically and email, or print and complete by hand.
4. Supporting information is set out on the application form and should accompany the application. Information will be required to confirm university enrolment and course.
5. Completed applications (with supporting documents) can be emailed, posted, or left at the School Office.
6. Send completed applications or direct enquiries to:
Jenny Lowe, Executive Assistant to the Headmaster
PO Box 8157, Christchurch 8440
7. Closing date for applications is 28 February 2020.
8. Scholarships will be awarded at a Scholars Assembly in May 2020.
School Leaver Application Form
Extended Application Form
How and when do students learn of the decision?
By letter following interview.
Two Trustees and the Headmaster.
History or background of award
Established by Mrs DMF Wilson in memory of her son John.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in December 2020.