New Horizons for Women Career Change Awards
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Closing dates for applications
Next: 15 April 2020
Applications are open from 1 Marchfor six weeks each year
Length of award
Number of awards offered
At least one
Purpose of award
The career change awards assist a woman who is changing the direction of her career and is entering a non-traditional field for women or one where women are under-represented. The Awards are a one off grant of $3,000 to help you with your study and/or living expenses while you study.
Before you apply please ensure you meet ALL the following eligibility criteria:
- A woman, who is a New Zealand citizen (or holds a resident class visa) and who:
- Is 35 years or over (as at 31 March)
- Is enrolled in a NZ approved tertiary qualification or trade apprenticeship
- Resides in New Zealand.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
If you receive an award NHWTHK requires you to do the following:
- Allow NHWTHK to use your name, photograph and information about you (and if relevant, other members of your group) for publicity purposes
- Receive the award at a NHWTHK awards ceremony in July/August
- Provide a progress report to NHWTHK in the year that you receive the award
- Provide NHWTHK with up-to-date contact details while you are studying.
Previous winners of a NHWTHK Career Change Award are not eligible for another NHWTHK Career Change Award.
How do students apply?
Awards: one award for $3000
Open: 1 March to 14 April 2019
Awards advised: Mid-June 2019
Awards made: July and August 2019
Complete an online application form at https://www.newhorizonsforwomen.org.nz/award-applications/ from 1 March
1. A completed online application form
2. Academic record of learning or equivalent
3. Confirmation of enrolment or equivalent
Award Page and Online Application
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Once the selection process is completed, all applicants will be notified of the outcome. This is expected to be mid-June with awards presented in July/August.
Awards Officers work with a selection panel, and forward their recommendations to the Trust Board for ratification.
History or background of award
New Horizons for Women Trust: Hine Kahukura provides awards that benefit women and/or girls. Each year the Trust provides career change awards. These awards are made possible by the generous sponsorship and donations from organisations and individuals.
When selecting awardees, the selection panel considers the following:
- Academic achievement and career plans
- Note this award is to assist women who are changing the direction of their career and are entering a non-traditional field for women or one where women are under-represented
- Work experience and/or contribution to the community
- Financial need
- Personal circumstances including ability of the applicant to be a role model to her family.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in March 2020.