Charles Upham Trust Scholarship
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Closing dates for applications
Next: 15 March 2021
Length of award
Number of awards offered
Purpose of award
* For a current first or second year student not engaged in postgraduate study.
* A descendent of a serviceman or woman who has served in any conflict in which New Zealand has been involved
In order to be eligible for this award an applicant must be
3.1 A current first or second year student enrolled in a fulltime course of study at Lincoln University, but not engaged in postgraduate study, and
3.2 A descendent of a serviceman or woman who has served in any conflict in which New Zealand has been involved , and
3.3 Must have gained a University Entrance qualification in New Zealand or an international equivalent within two years of applying, and
3.4 Must be a New Zealand Citizen.
4. Selection Criteria
The scholarship shall be awarded based on
4.1 Academic merit.
4.2 Leadership ability
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Applicants must be registered as a full-time student in either a degree or diploma course of study at Lincoln University.
Once the scholarship has commenced, the scholarship sponsor may grant a temporary suspension of the scholarship, for up to one year having taken into account the scholar's circumstances and the progress of the study.
How do students apply?
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Payment shall be made to the student by Lincoln University on behalf of the Charles Upham Trust.
The award will be made by The Charles Upham Trust on the recommendation of a Selection Committee which shall comprise
* The Lincoln University Scholarships Committee Convenor, or nominee
* A Lincoln University Academic Staff member who also sits on the Lincoln University Scholarships committee
* The Lincoln University Students' Association President or nominee,
* A nominee of The Charles Upham Trust, who shall be the chairperson
5.1 The chairperson shall have a deliberative and casting vote
5.2 The committee shall decline to make an award if, in their opinion, it is deemed there is no candidate of sufficient merit.
History or background of award
This scholarship was established by the Charles Upham Trust. The Trust was created by the Citizens of New Zealand in recognition of his bravery and awards of VC and Bar. He donated those funds to this Trust with a view to providing education for the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of servicemen who served in any war that New Zealand was involved with.
The scholarship shall be tenable with any other scholarship, bursary or award unless the conditions of the other award preclude it.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
PO Box850 84, Lincoln University, Lincoln , Christchurch 7647, New Zealand
(+64 3 3252 811 ext 8748 or 8582
+64 3 325 3840
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in December 2020.