Edna Waddell Undergraduate Scholarships for Women in Technology and Engineering
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Closing dates for applications
Next: 1 September 2023
Length of award
Number of awards offered
Up to four
Purpose of award
The Edna Waddell scholarships are for women entering their first year of full time study for undergraduate degrees in professional engineering or technology - open to school leavers and mature women. Each scholarship is for one year, the initial year of study.
• Applicants will be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents with at least three years proven residence in New Zealand.
• Applicants for the Edna Waddell scholarships will be gaining the entry qualifications for their chosen degree.
• Applicants need to show enthusiasm and knowledge of technology and engineering, particularly in their chosen field.
• Applicants will have leadership and creative skills.
• Applicants will ensure their degree programme meets eligibility requirements: See the appendix in the scholarship Regulations.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Successful scholars shall:
• enrol in and study for the agreed course at a university in New Zealand in the year for which the Scholarship is awarded
• use the Scholarship in any way which helps the Scholar to meet the purposes of the award
• supply an academic transcript and a short report on their academic progress at the end of each semester in the year the scholarship is held
• in the opinion of the Board make positive and satisfactory progress at the institution at which they are studying; unsatisfactory progress may lead to termination of the Scholarship and to a request from the Board for return of the emolument
• undertake to return any Scholarship money paid in the event that the chosen course of study is not immediately undertaken once the scholarship is awarded or other conditions of tenure are not met.
How do students apply?
Candidates should complete an application using the Universities NZ online scholarships application website:
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Universities New Zealand will notify applicants in November of the outcome of their application.
A Scholarship Selection Committee comprising:
• three representatives of the technology & engineering faculties at NZ universities
• a member of Engineering NZ (www.engineeringnz.org)
• a member selected from the industry.
History or background of award
The Edna Waddell scholarships provide funds for women entering their first year of an undergraduate degree in professional engineering or technology.
The Scholarships are tenable with other awards, but account will be taken of the aggregate circumstances of the individual and the Trustees’ wish to use available funds to best advantage.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Universities New Zealand – Te Pōkai Tara
PO Box 11915, Wellington 6142
+64 4 381 8510
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in November 2021.