John Fitzgerald Memorial Scholarship
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
NZ$5,000 per year; depending on available funds.
Closing dates for applications
Next: 1 October 2021
Applications close 1 October.
Length of award
Number of awards offered
One per year.
Purpose of award
The Scholarship is for the purpose of supporting studies, research, projects, exhibitions or other similar activities relating to the completion of undergraduate or postgraduate qualifications.
* Applicants must be in their fourth or higher year of study in architecture (including Honours, Masters and PhD students).
* Undergraduate students shall be considered eligible if they are enrolled in their fourth or higher year of study and have successfully completed all third year core papers or have previously gained equivalent credit or experience and are intending to study at postgraduate level at VUW.
* In selecting the project, the Selection Committee will consider:
Projects that are forward-looking and aim to further architecture knowledge, techniques or developments at the level of individual study or collective interest. Innovative ideas are encouraged, as are projects that reflect any of the following architectual interests of John Fitzgerald:
o Contemporary, minimalist forms of architecture in sympathy with the environment
o Architecture of historic urban sites
o Precision of design
o Incorporation of technology to enhance the functional use of buildings
o New Zealand's architectural identity.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
* It is expected that the recipient(s) of the award will assume responsibility for ensuring that the outcome of the project will be prepared in a form that can be presented to students, professional colleagues and the public.
* It is an expectation that the recipient(s) of the award will enhance the relationships between New Zealand and the United Kingdom that John Fitzgerald helped to foster. The potential benefits to recipients from activities and experiences of the different cultures of the two countries will be considered in deciding on awards.
* Scholarship recipients are required to write a letter of thanks, which will be forwarded to the donors.
How do students apply?
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
The presentation of the award will be generally once a year in November, on the initiative of the Head of School of Architecture.
The Selection Committee shall consist of:
* The Head of the School of Architecture or nominee,
* Two additional academic staff members and/or architecture professionals nominated by the School of Architecture, and,
* The most recent student winner(s) of the John Fitzgerald Memorial Scholarship where possible.
History or background of award
This Award is a memorial to the late John Fitzgerald, a graduate (1997) of the Victoria University of Wellington (New Zealand) School of Architecture. The architectural firm of Holden + Partners (London, UK), John's former employer, initiated the Award from contributions raised in the United Kingdom and New Zealand from architectural and academic colleagues, clients, friends and family.
The Fitzgerald family and Holden & Partners are also available to assist awardees, if they wish with practical arrangements such as accommodation, hosting, advice, networking or local transportation.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
The Scholarships Office
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
+64 4 463 5557
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in October 2020.