Pacific Health Scholarships
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
$10,000 for Medical and Dentistry students $5,000 for all remaining qualifications (refer to list of eligible q
Closing dates for applications
Next: 7 February 2022
Open Weds Dec 8th and close Monday 7 Feb 2022
Number of awards offered
Purpose of award
“The scholarships are open to Pacific students committed to improving Pacific health across a range of disciplines. It is not just medicine and nursing. I want to see more Pacific students qualifying in related health specialties such as physical science, nutrition, dental hygiene, physiotherapy, midwifery or psychology for example,” Mr Lotu-Iiga says.
To be eligible to apply for the Pacific Health Scholarships 2022 (the Scholarships), you must:
- be a New Zealand resident or permanent resident at the time of the application
- be enrolled in a health or disability-related course/qualification
- be enrolled at an approved NZQA accredited tertiary provider in New Zealand
- provide evidence of Pacific Islands descent (passport, birth certificate, reference letter).
The following applicants are deemed ineligible:
- students who qualify for the fees free scheme for the current academic year
- students who have been or will be awarded any other scholarship from another source for the current academic year
- sixth year medical students because they receive a stipend
- PhD students because the frontline workforce takes priority
- first year health science students and bio-medical students (competitive courses)
- Ministry of Health employees
Applications from both full-time and part time workers will be considered (including DHB employees)
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
How do students apply?
All applications must be submitted using the online application form
After an application has been submitted, applications will receive an acknowledgment email.
Once applications close, an Assessment Panel will review all submitted applications (both new applicants and fast track students).
Please allow 3-4 weeks for the applications to be processed and reviewed after the close dates.
All applicants will be notified by email correspondence, the outcome of their application once the Assessment Panel have finalised their decisions.
Tertiary providers will be notified of successful recipients and coordination of scholarship payments will be done between the Ministry and the tertiary provider (with assistance by the recipient if necessary).
Please ensure to provide a current email address when applying. If changes to contact emails occur, please inform the Ministry by emailing email@example.com.
Refer to the Preparing an application page for more information to assist in completing an application form.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
No late applications will be accepted by the Ministry.
The Pacific Health Scholarships are administered by the Ministry of Health.
History or background of award
The Pacific Health Scholarships (formerly known as the ANIVA Scholarships) contribute to improving access to health services for Pacific peoples by assisting the development of the Pacific health and disability workforce.
The Scholarships will be made of:
- $10,000 for Medical and Dentistry students
- $5,000 for all remaining qualifications (refer to list of eligible qualifications).
Course fees will be paid directly to your tertiary organisation once you have been approved in a course.
The Ministry does not provide funding for accommodation costs, course related costs, or study leave days.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
The Scholarships Office
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
+64 4 463 5557
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in November 2021.