Sir Robert Jones Refugee Daughters Scholarships
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Closing dates for applications
Next: 8 July 2022
Length of award
Hostel fees will be paid for two years for students who are required to studyoutside their home town
Number of awards offered
Purpose of award
Tuition fees will be paid in full through to degree attainment, subject to satisfactory progress being made each year towards completion
of the degree. University hostel accommodation will be paid for two years of study if the student is required to attend a tertiary institution outside their home town.
· female, aged 18 - 25 years
· the daughter of a refugee family, or arrived in New Zealand as a refugee herself currently enrolled in a Foundation Course or university-level degree
· in financial or personal hardship (proof of economic circumstances may be required)
· academic ability (evidence of a strong academic record)
· potential and motivation to succeed at university
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
RASNZ facilitates and administers the application and selection process in collaboration with RJH Holdings
The scholarship must be taken up in the year for which it is awarded.
The scholarship is for full-time study only
Annual renewal of the scholarship is dependent on the student making satisfactory progress toward completion of the degree in the specified time frame i.e. three to four years depending on the specific course of study
The scholarship may not be deferred or suspended during the tenure, except under exceptional circumstances
How do students apply?
Applications for the 2022 academic year are now OPEN.
Applications for the 2022academic year will openon Monday 14 June 2021.
Applications will close on Friday 16th July 2021
Inquiries should be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Application Form
How and when do students learn of the decision?
• Interviews will be held in Auckland and Wellington in November.
• Travel expenses for attending the interview will be paid if students must travel from out of town
• On receipt of the applications, the Scholarship Coordinator will check they are complete and contact applicantsif any further informationis required. Referees will be contacted as required.
• Completed applications will then be shared with aselection panel of people who have sound knowledge and experience of tertiary education, including people from refugee backgrounds. Panellists will read the applications and assist in selecting a shortlist of applicants for interview.
• Those who have been unsuccessful getting on to the shortlist will be advised.
• All applicants will know the status of their application by the end of September.
• Following the interview process, scholarshipplaceswill be awarded at the discretion of the interview panel.
• Interviewees will be advised whether or not they have been successfulin the week following the interviews
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by a panel made up of an academic, and representatives from Robt. Jones Holdings and Refugees as Survivors NZ
History or background of award
The Sir Robert Jones Refugee Daughters’ Scholarship assists young women from refugee backgrounds to complete a university degree or tertiary qualification from an approved tertiary institution.
Applicants will be required to up load documents to the Application Form including:
• Proof of refugee-background status e.g. NZ immigration documents
• NCEA and University academic records
• A written academicreference
• A written character reference
• Studylink payment advices/remittances
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in June 2022.