Betty Loughhead Soroptimist Scholarship Trust
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Previous awards have generally been given in the region of $3,000 - $5,000 (per award).
Closing dates for applications
Next: 30 August 2023
Sunday 30 August 2020.
Length of award
Each trustee reviews all [eligible] applications independently, and then the trustees meet in October/November each year to moderate their individual assessments and agree that year's recipients.
Number of awards offered
The Trustees have sole discretion and will determine the award amount.
Purpose of award
The Betty Loughhead Soroptimist Scholarship provides financial support to women over the age of 25 who are studying to either:
• obtain a qualification to enter (or re-enter) the workforce; or
• to gain a further qualification to advance a careers in business, the professions, the arts; or
• to change occupation.
The scholarship is available to women who are:
• New Zealand citizens
• At least 25 years of age on 1 September in the year of application.
• Enrolled in an NZQA approved education programme that is to be undertaken in NZ
• Have a proven record of academic achievement
• Able to use the scholarship in the year for which it is awarded
• Willing to participate in Soroptimist promotional activities (should they be awarded a scholarship)
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
The Trustees have sole discretion to grant awards and will determine in their discretion the award amount and number of successful applicants, and the terms and conditions applying to each award. In recent years the average award value has been $3,000- $5,000.
How do students apply?
Application forms are available to download from the website on 1 June each year.
Six (6) copies of the application form should be provided, in hard copy, to the Secretary, at the address given on the application form. Please ensure you provide 6 clean copies (one for each trustee) of your application and references. Emailed applications cannot be accepted (and will not be considered).
How to apply
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Applicants are usually notified of the Trustees' decision in late October or early November.
The Betty Loughhead Soroptimist Scholarship is supported by all 20 New Zealand clubs. Our clubs are arranged into two regions and each region nominates three of its members to serve as trustees of the BLSST for a two-year term.
History or background of award
The scholarship is named after Betty Loughhead MBE, JP. Betty joined Soroptimist International in 1949, and was the first New Zealander to serve as the International President of Soroptimist International. The scholarship was established in 1987, and named in her honour.
Evidence of eligibility must be provided as part of the application process.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
The Betty Loughhead Soroptimist Scholarship Trust
BLSST Secretary, Sarnia, 52 Raukawa Street, Strathmore Park, Wellington 6022, New Zealand
04 388 2115
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in March 2022.