Victoria Tongarewa Scholarship
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
$5,000 or $10,000. See additional information
Closing dates for applications
Next: 30 November 2020
Length of award
Number of awards offered
See additional information
Purpose of award
Scholarships for study in the following year will be awarded competitively on the basis of academic excellence. Scholarships will be credited to tuition fees. Shortlisted candidates may be requested to undertake a skype interview.
Applicants must be:
• international students who are paying full international fees
• entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree.
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you:
• completed your secondary education at a New Zealand school
• completed a prerequisite degree at Victoria University of Wellington (i.e. the English Proficiency Programme or Foundation Studies Programme)
• are a Study Abroad or Twinning student from one of our overseas partner universities
• are in your second or subsequent year of study at Victoria University of Wellington
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
• The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with another award.
• The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
• Should the recipient withdraw during the year partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
• At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.
How do students apply?
A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Successful applicants will be advised by email after the application deadline.
Selection will be made by a panel made up of appropriate Victoria International staff.
History or background of award
The Victoria Tongarewa Scholarship (“the Scholarship”) celebrates Victoria’s committment to our international student community. These scholarships will provide partial fee-based scholarships for one year. Applicants can be either entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
The Scholarship will comprise a partial fees scholarship. Up to 10 scholarships of NZ$10,000 will be available to both undergraduate and postgraduate recipients and up to 9 scholarships of NZ$5,000 will be available to postgraduate recipients. Scholarships will be paid towards tuition fees.
Recipients of the Victoria Tongarewa Scholarship are guaranteed an offer of a place in one of our Halls of Residence, provided an accommodation application is received by the Accommodation Service by 1 October.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
The Scholarships Office
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
+64 4 463 5557
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in September 2020.