Wakatū Tertiary Education Scholarship
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Fees and Books
Closing dates for applications
Next: 31 August 2021
Applications for 2021 academic year will open early August 2020.
Length of award
May be renewed for a further two years if the applicant's studies are successful, as assessed by the committee. i.e. up to a total of $12,000 over three years.
Number of awards offered
Dependant upom quality of applicant/s.
Purpose of award
Tertiary Education scholarships are for studies directly related to our business, in areas such as Viticulture; Marine Biology; Aquaculture; Horticulture; Law; General Management; Property Development; Marketing ; Finance.
Study can be in New Zealand or overseas but must be through a recognised tertiary provider.
Applicants must be Wakatu shareholders or descendants of Wakatu shareholders and demonstrate a strong desire to get qualified.
We support a range of disciplines, with preference for studies related to our business such as law, accounting and marketing. Studies in the applied sciences of viticulture, aquaculture and horticulture are a priority. Whenua is at the core of our legacy, and careers in property are critical to our future development.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
* You must attach a record of academic and other achievements to date.
* You must attach a letter outlining your community involvement, particularly if they show connections to Wakatū and the top of the South, your educational & life aspirations and how you might contribute in the future.
* You must provide regular end of semester reports on progress and achievements of stated goals.
* You must present to our shareholders at one Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting at some stage during your scholarship (preferably in the first year). This is to provide information on the general progress and the benefits of the scheme so our shareholders can understand the value.
* You must complete a project identifying how you descend from an original owner of Wakatū Incorporation.
* Wakatū Incorporation is sponsoring the course and papers you outline on your application form. Any changes you decide to make during your scholarship must be declared to Wakatū Incorporation. Wakatū Incorporation reserves the right to reassess any scholarship granted.
* If at any stage during the scholarship you receive another scholarship/award, you must declare this to Wakatū Incorporation. Wakatū Incorporation reserves the right to reassess any scholarship granted.
* If your application is successful and at any time during your scholarship your income changes to benefit you, this must be declared to Wakatū Incorporation. Wakatū Incorporation reserves the right to reassess any scholarship granted.
* Study may take place in New Zealand or overseas, but must be through recognised tertiary providers.
* Applicants must be shareholders, or descendants of shareholders, or members of a whānau trust holding Wakatū shares.
How do students apply?
Renewal of scholarships will be at the discretion of the Wakatu- Incorporation Board. Recipients must:
* Pass all papers.
* Update the Board regularly each year on their progress.
* Ensure Wakatu- Incorporation has their up to date contact details.
History or background of award
We are a Māori organisation and proactively seek to build competence in our whanau to ensure we will be capable of managing our own assets going into the future.
Each scholarship provides the successful applicant with financial support for fees and books, up to a maximum of three years. There are also bonus opportunities for studying te reo and achieving academic merit.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Wakatu Incorporation New Zealand
PO Box 440, Nelson 7040
(03) 546 8648
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in September 2020.