Des Graydon Memorial Scholarship
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
$6,000 contribution towards fees
Closing dates for applications
Next: 1 September 2021
Closes 1 September each year
Length of award
• The tenure of this scholarship is for the second and third years of full-time study in the Bachelor of Business, renewed annually.
• Annual renewal of the scholarship will be based on the student attaining a minimum B grade average at the end of each year of study.
• In exceptional circumstances, a recipient may apply to the Scholarships Office for a deferment of his or her scholarship.
Number of awards offered
Purpose of award
The aim of the scholarship is to encourage and support students facing financial barriers to undertake undergraduate studies in Business.
Applicants must have completed an AUT Application for Enrolment (AFE) for the Bachelor of Business. All applicants for this scholarship must:
• Be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.
• Be enrolling for the first time in a full-time Bachelor of Business programme.
• Be full-time New Zealand secondary school students in their final year of study.
• Demonstrate a high level of academic achievement in NCEA level 2 or higher (or in an equivalent qualification) and in their final year of full-time study at a secondary school. Applicants will have as a minimum, one of the following:
NCEA 250 rank score
CIE 200 rank score
IB Principal’s predicted score 30
Information to assist calculating the rank score is available from the on-line Scholarships Application Form and from www.aut.ac.nz/study-at-aut/fees-scholarships-and-finance/scholarships/school-and-community-partnership.
• Demonstrate limited opportunity for university study without this scholarship.
• Demonstrate leadership and role model potential.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
• Recipients will be selected by the Faculty of Business and Law scholarship selection panel.
• The decision of the Faculty of Business and Law scholarship selection panel is final.
• If the panel is of opinion that there is no applicant of sufficient merit, the scholarship will not be awarded.
ected to make a commitment to involve themselves in service-based activities and/or mentoring other students.
• This scholarship may not be held in conjunction with any other fees scholarship. The recipient may hold additional non-tuition fee based scholarships with the approval of the Faculty of Business and Law.
• The Faculty of Business and Law has the power to terminate or suspend a scholarship if it received an unsatisfactory report on the progress of a recipient.
How do students apply?
Application for this scholarship is through the AUT on-line scholarship application system. Short-listed applicants may be required to attend an interview. Applicants will request a recommendation from either a Year 13 Dean or School Principal through the on-line system commenting on:
• leadership and role model potential.
• academic performance in the applicants final year of study at secondary school.
- why the applicant would have limited opportunity for university study without this scholarship.
The applicant will be asked to upload in the online system:
• An official transcript of the applicant’s academic results in the current and preceding year.
• A written statement outlining the applicant’s need for financial assistance to fund his or her university study.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
The award of this scholarship is conditional on the recipient gaining entry to and enrolling full-time in the Bachelor of Business programme.
Recipients will be selected by the Faculty of Business and Law scholarship selection panel.
The decision of the Faculty of Business and Law scholarship selection panel is final.
If the panel is of the opinion that there is no applicant of sufficient merit, the scholarship will not be awarded.
History or background of award
In tribute to the memory of Professor Des Graydon, a highly respected leader of the AUT community and Dean of the Faculty of Business and Law for 20 years, the AUT Business School is pleased to be able to offer a scholarship to a secondary school student who intends to study in the Bachelor of Business programme.
Recipients will be expected to make a commitment to involve themselves in service based activities and/or mentoring other students.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in September 2020.