FMG Agriculture Scholarships
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
$5000 per year
Closing dates for applications
Next: 5 December 2020
Applications open each year on 1 October and close on 5 December.
Length of award
For each year of your undergraduate degree up to four years.
Please note the scholarship only covers the study programmes above. If you’ve previously completed another degree you can still apply provided you are beginning the first year of one of the above degrees. Terms and conditions apply.
Number of awards offered
Purpose of award
Each year we help two promising agriculture students starting their first year at university. We'll put $5000 towards your course fees for each year of your undergraduate degree at Lincoln, Massey or Waikato Universities.
The FMG Agriculture Scholarship* is open to students who can maintain at least a B- average and are planning to begin their first year of study towards a Bachelor of:
• Agricultural Science
• Commerce (Agriculture)
• Viticulture and Oenology
• Science (Agriculture or AgriTech)
• Management Studies (Agribusiness)
• Agribusiness and Food Marketing
• Land and Property Management (Rural)
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Recipients authorise the release of their academic results from Massey, Waikato or Lincoln Universities to FMG upon the completion of each semester.
Recipients agree to provide FMG with a brief report on how their studies are progressing at the end of each academic year (1 - 2 pages).
How do students apply?
• All applications must be nominated by an FMG client. Talk to agribusinesses in your area to see if they are insured with FMG – as we’re New Zealand’s largest rural insurer, it won’t take long to find one! You can also drop into your local FMG office if you need help.
• Applications can be made online or by post. If you submit your application online you’ll see a page confirming it was successfully submitted. If you post your application allow up to 10 working days for it to be processed, we’ll then call or email you to confirm we’ve received it.
• If you already have a scholarship, that shouldn’t stop you applying. The only time it’s likely to affect your eligibility for FMG’s scholarship is if the other scholarship pays most of your tuition fees.
• Applications open each year on 1 October and close on 5 December. Check back on this page for the application form during this period.
Click here to apply.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Successful recipients will be announced by mid-February.Payment will be made directly to the selected University each year for tuition fees.
A Selection Committee will consider all applications received. A range of criteria will be taken into account including applicant's academic records, personal profile, and evidence of commitment to agriculture. Applicants may be asked to attend an interview, either in person or by conference call.
History or background of award
In 2005, New Zealand's leading rural insurer FMG celebrated 100 years of involvement in the rural sector. To celebrate the milestone, the FMG Agriculture Scholarship Programme was launched. We are committed to the growth of the rural sector and see education as a vital source of the continuing development of the industry.
Recipients must disclose to FMG any other scholarships awarded during the term of their FMG Agriculture Scholarship. If the recipient has been awarded a scholarship that provides the same offer as FMG's Agriculture Scholarship (i.e. tuition), FMG may withdraw its scholarship at its sole discretion.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in January 2020.