Cigna Actuarial Scholarship
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Up to $5,000 subject to availability of funds.
Closing dates for applications
Next: 16 April 2022
Length of award
Number of awards offered
Up to 1 award will be offered per year, subject to there being a candidate who meets the criteria.
Purpose of award
The purpose of the award is to:
* encourage potential and existing students of Victoria University to consider the actuarial profession as a career path, and as a consequence, the Actuarial Science major offered at Victoria University of Wellington.
* give a successful candidate majoring in Actuarial Science an opportunity to work as a summer intern to gain valuable actuarial work experience and financial support for their next tuition year for a student progressing to postgraduate study.
* promote Cigna as a Wellington-based employer of actuaries, providing health and wellbeing solutions to customers across NZ.
1. Academic excellence(Applicants should have an A- grade average)
2. Enrolled in a second year of BSc or BCom, majoring in Actuarial Science and intending to complete the major in the year of the award.
3. Submit a formal written application/covering letter that describes why you want to be an actuary, that clearly shows your understanding of how actuaries can make a difference to business and individual customers and demonstrates your communication skills.
4. Copy of your CV
5. Where appropriate applicants will be invited for a personal interview with a Cigna NZ representative.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
The scholarship is administered by the Scholarships Office, on behalf of the Victoria Foundation. The Victoria University Foundation will expect recipients to write a letter of thanks to the donor’s family on receipt of the award and an end of year progress report.
How do students apply?
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Regulations and Scholarship Page
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Refer to Funder.
Cigna: Chief Actuary, Actuary Team Leader, HR, CEO;VUW: Heads of Schools of Mathematics, Statistics and Operations Research and of Economics and Finance. Decisions made by the decision makers is full and final.
History or background of award
Cigna Life Insurance NZ Ltd (Cigna) has been a Wellington-based employer of actuaries for many years. Cigna is very interested to play its part in the local community to promote the actuarial profession as a career and support those wishing to study actuarial science and later work as an actuary in the Wellington region.
The successful candidate may also be offered an internship at Cigna Life Insurance NZ Ltd over the summer break, subject to there being a vacant intern position available.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
The Scholarships Office
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
+64 4 463 5557
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in April 2020.