New Horizons Second-Chance Education - Degree Study Awards
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
$3000 to $4000
Closing dates for applications
Next: 30 April 2020
Applications open 1 Marchfor six weeks each year
Length of award
Number of awards offered
Approx 20 awards.
Purpose of award
Second-Chance Education Degree study Awards are for women who are engaging in tertiary education for the FIRST TIME, at a Degree level (NZQA level 7), and have not previously received a NHWTHK Award.
The awards are a one off grant to help with study and/or living expenses.
To apply for a Diploma and Degree Studies Award you must meet all the following eligibility criteria:
The applicant is a woman, who .
* Does not already have a degree
* Is enrolled in a NZ approved tertiary qualification (second or subsequent years)
* Is studying a degree course (NZQA level 7 or above)
* Has completed at least 1 full year (2 semesters) of the qualification
* Is a New Zealand citizen or holds a resident class visa and is currently living in New Zealand
* Has not previously received a NHWTHK Second-Chance Education Degree Study Award
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
If you receive an award NHWTHK requires you to do the following:
* Receive the award at a NHWTHK awards ceremony in early July/August
* Provide a progress report to NHWTHK in the year you receive the award
* Provide NHWTHK with up-to-date contact details while you are studying.
* Allow NHWTHK to use your name, photograph and information about you (and if relevant, other members of your group) for publicity purposes
How do students apply?
Complete an online application form at https://www.newhorizonsforwomen.org.nz/award-applications/ from 1 March
1. A completed online application form
2. Academic record of learning or equivalent
3. Confirmation of enrolment or equivalent
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Once the selection process is completed, all applicants will be notified of the outcome. This is expected to be by mid-June. Awards made early August.
Awards Officers work with a selection panel, and forward their recommendations to the Trust Board for ratification.
History or background of award
New Horizons for Women Trust: Hine Kahukra provides awards that benefit women and /or girls. Each year the Trust provides a number of second-chance education awards. These awards are made possible by the generous sponsorship and donations from organisations and individuals.
There are Second-Chance Education Degree awards targeted to Bay of Plenty, Wellington, Manawatu, Waikato,Auckland Otago and Southland regions. We encourage applications from these regions.There are also awards available nationally.
There is an award offered for a woman over the age of 40. All the awards are for women who are returning to study and are not for women who have come stright from school.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in April 2020.