Peter Harwood Scholarship in Community Leadership and Excellence
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
$6,000 contribution towards fees
Closing dates for applications
Next: 1 November 2021
November and March annually
Length of award
• The tenure of this scholarship is for one year.
• Current recipients may apply for renewal for up to a total of three years but must submit a new application by the closing date each year. Attachments and the reference statement are not required for renewal.
Number of awards offered
Varies depending on funding
Purpose of award
To encourage and support students to pursue tertiary education in the area of Māori Development, Te Ara Poutama at AUT University.
• Applicants must have been accepted onto study for a certificate, diploma, undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme within Te Ara Poutama and be enrolling in no less than 60 points per annum.
• Applicants must be NZ citizens or permanent residents.
• Applicants must request a referee’s statement supporting their leadership from a community leader, group, organisation or school.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Recipients will be expected to:
Attend all classes
Support Te Ara Poutama recruitment and marketing activities, if and when required
Participate in supporting Te Ara Poutama students in accessing support services through familiarisation with AUT staff and services
How do students apply?
Application for this scholarship is through the AUT on-line scholarship application system this will be available from September of the year of application. Applicants will be asked to upload:
• An official transcript of the applicant’s academic results in the current and preceding year unless the study was attempted through AUT.
• Applicants will be asked to nominate through the online system one referee who can speak in support of the applicant’s leadership ability.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
As soon as possible after the selection panel have met.
The selection panel will consist of The Tumuaki (or nominee) and the Programme Leaders .
No scholarship will be awarded upon any occasion if the panel is of the opinion that there is no applicant of sufficient merit applying for the award.
History or background of award
The Peter Harwood Scholarship in Community Leadership and Excellence is to reward leadership qualities and academic excellence.
Recipients enrolled in a full-time programme but including papers outside Te Ara Poutama or enrolled part-time will receive a reduced pro-rata contribution to fees for the Te Ara Poutama papers only.
This scholarship may not be held in conjunction with any other fees scholarship.
The recipient may hold additional non-tuition fee based scholarships with the approval of the Head of Department and the Scholarships Office.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in March 2021.