Victoria Hardship Fund Equity Grants
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Up to $2,000. See additional information.
Closing dates for applications
Next: 12 October 2020
2020 closing dates are 17 Feb, 8 June and 12 October
Length of award
One or two trimesters
Number of awards offered
· Applications are open to all students who are studying at Victoria University of Wellington including domestic, international, undergraduate, postgraduate, part time and full time students.
· Applicants must be enrolled in the trimester they are applying for. E.g. Students who apply for round 1 must be enrolled in trimester 1 of the same year.
· The grants will be awarded on the basis of financial need and satisfactory academic commitment and progress. Factors taken into consideration when assessing financial need could include – high course costs, high transport costs, medical conditions or a disability preventing part-time work, family to support, any other relevant circumstances.
· The Grants are intended to assist with ongoing costs related to study. They are not intended for tuition fees. The student is expected to be claiming all other available funding; ie Studylink, Student Loan, if eligible.
· All offers of the award will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in the trimester they are applying for and having satisfactory academic progress in their prior trimester.
· Recipients are expected to register with their student ID number and complete two online Blackbullion modules (of their choice) before receiving the second instalment. The second instalment will not be paid until this condition is met.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
These grants are intended to assist with ongoing costs related to study. They are not intended for tuition fees. The award may be paid in instalments.
How do students apply?
Due to increased demand for the Hardship Fund, the round two Equity Grant (closing date 8 June 2020) will not be offered this year. However, if you require immediate financial assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org or see our Hardship Fund.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
• A personal statement (max 500 words) outlining your financial difficulties and your personal circumstances and study goals
• Proof of your income (details of specific documents required are on online application)
Regulations and Scholarship Page
Online Application Form
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Applicants will receive email an email informing the outcome of their application within 6 weeks of the application closing date.
The grants are administered by Victoria University's Student Finance Advisers.
History or background of award
These grants are to encourage students who are facing financial hardship to continue in their studies at Victoria University. The grants are funded from the Student Assistance Scheme, and were established in 2000.
Closing date for applications
There are three rounds of applications per year:
· Round 1 : 18th February 2019
· Round 2: 10th June 2019
· Round 3: 30th September 2019
Applications will open online four weeks prior to the closing date.
Late applications may be accepted at the discretion of the selection panel.
The grants are up to $2,000 and the number and value of each grant is at the discretion of the selection panel whose decision is final.
The award will be paid in two instalments.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
The Scholarships Office
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
+64 4 463 5557
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in September 2020.