Massey University Academy of Sport Scholarship
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
A minimum of $3,000 and up to $5,000 for full-time students, or pro-rated for part time students.
Closing dates for applications
Next: 7 September 2022
Length of award
Number of awards offered
Purpose of award
To financially assist new students enrolling at Massey University with a previous record of high achievement in sport.
All applicants must be eligible, and intending, to enrol:
* for either full-time (minimum of 105 credits) or part-time (minimum of 45 credits) study;
* in the first year (i.e. 100 level) of a Bachelor degree programme;
* in the year following the award of the Scholarship;
* at any Massey University campus.
All applicants need to meet the entry criteria for the programme that they intend to enrol in at Massey University.
Selection will be made on the basis of:
*evidence of excellence in sport in the previous three years both inside and outside of the school context, (e.g. provincial or national representative)
*support of Coach and National Body (compulsory)
In making their selection the Selection Committee may have regard to applicants' academic records.
Non school leaver applicants in this category must be able to demonstrate equivalent competence across a minimum of four subject areas.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
A Scholarship awarded for part-time study may not subsequently be increased for the purpose of full-time study.
Recipients of the Sports Scholarship will be expected to continue with their sport at the level currently attained or higher while at University
How do students apply?
You should prepare the following before starting the application
• Transcripts for your secondary school results. If you are completing NCEA you need to provide a copy of your School Results Summary from the NZQA website
• A one page Curriculum Vitae highlighting your sporting achievements
• A brief statement (300 word maximum) indicating why you think you should be awarded this scholarship. This should expand on your best achievements listed in your CV and outline what your future goals are in relation to your study
• A statement outlining future sporting goals in your chosen sport – both long term goals (next 5-8 years) and short term goals (next 2-3 years)
• A list of all targeted sporting competitions for the year the scholarship will be held
• A supporting letter from your coach
• A supporting letter from the relevant National Sporting Body (NSO). If your sport does not have an NSO or you are unable to supply a supporting letter from your relevant Regional Sports Organisation (RSO) or equivalent
• A statement from the Year 13 Dean or Principal confirmation that they believe you are clearly capable of achieving University Entrance at the end of this year (if applicable)
• Supporting evidence of your cultural identity (if applicable).
For Māori applicants this is written confirmation of your whakapapa, from a Kaumātua. For Pacific students this is written confirmation from either a Church or Community Leader
Online Application Form
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Payment will be made in two instalments upon confirmation of enrolment in semesters one and payment in Semester two will be subject to review of academic performance in Semester one. Payment is made following the official withdrawal dates for these semesters.
The Selection Committee comprises of the Chair of the Scholarships Committee or nominee, one other member of the Scholarships Committee, the Disabilities co-ordinator, or nominee, and two academic staff members teaching in the Sports area.
History or background of award
The Massey University Academy of Sport Scholarship was established to support new student athletes enrolling at Massey University with a previous record of high achievement in sport and who show future potential in their chosen sport.
The Massey Academy of Sport
The Massey University Academy of Sport is a sport scholarship programme provided to athletes who combine their sporting commitments with tertiary study. Sport and Academic support services are provided to each athlete within the programme. Sport specific services include physical conditioning, nutrition, sports psychology, gym memberships, group topical seminars and training gear. Academic support provides one on one staff support, time management and academic planning, career advice, and assistance with scheduling conflicts and with travel to national and international sport competitions. All sport services are quality assured, provided by New Zealand Academy of Sport accredited providers.
Athletes accepted in to the programme are typically of National and International standard in their chosen sport code.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Private Bag 11-222, Palmerston North 4442
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in December 2021.