New Horizons for Women Second-Chance Education Foundation and Diploma Studies Awards
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Closing dates for applications
Next: 15 April 2020
Applications open 1 March
Length of award
Number of awards offered
At least seven
Purpose of award
Foundation Certificate and Diploma Studies Second-Chance Education Awards are for women who are engaging in tertiary education for the FIRST TIME, at either a Foundation Certificate level (NZQA level 3-4) or Diploma level (NZQA level 5-6), who do not already have a tertiary qualification at that level, and have not previously received a NHWTHK award. The awards are a one off grant to help with study and/or living expenses.
To apply for a Foundation Study Award you must meet all the following eligibility criteria:
The applicant is a woman, who:
* Does not already have a tertiary qualification at this level
* Is enrolled in a NZ approved tertiary qualification
* Is studying towards a certificate/foundation programme NZQA Level 1 to 4, that is at least one semester in duration.
* Is a New Zealand citizen or holds a resident class visa
* Lives in New Zealand
* Has not previously received a NHWTHK Second-Chance Education Foundation Study Award
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
If you receive an award NHWTHK requires you to do the following:
* Allow NHWTHK to use your name, photograph and information about you (and if relevant, other members of your group) for publicity purposes
* Receive the award at a NHWTHK awards ceremony in July/August
* Provide a progress report to NHWTHK in the year you receive the award
* Provide NHWTHK with up-to-date contact details while you are studying.
How do students apply?
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Once the selection process is completed, all applicants will be notified of the outcome. This is expected to be by mid June. Awards are presented early August.
Awards Officers work with a selection panel, and forward their recommendations to the Trust Board for ratification.
History or background of award
New Horizons for Women Trust: Hine Kahukura provides awards that benefit women and/or girls. Each year the Trust provides a number of second-chance education awards. These awards are made possible by the generous sponsorship and donations from organisations and individuals.
Some of these awards are targeted to applicants from Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Wellington, Southland and Otago and applications from women in these regions are encouraged. There are also awards available nationally.
When Selecting awardees, the selection panel consider the following:
* Academic achievements and career plans
* Financial circumstances
* Personal circumstances
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in March 2020.