Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) Scholarship
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Closing dates for applications
Next: 30 October 2022
Length of award
The scholarship shall be known as the Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) Scholarship and shall be available to be awarded annually for 5 years, whereupon it will be reviewed.
Number of awards offered
One, if more than one candidate is selected then the monies are split between the candidates.
Purpose of award
The purpose of the RNZN scholarship is to support a school leaver in their first year of tertiary study.
The award shall be made to the candidate who:
1. is New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
2. has resided in the Gisborne area for at least 12 months prior to the closing date for applications; is a full-time student who intends to undertake full-time tertiary or sports study at a crown-registered tertiary institution or organisation in the following year.
3. is formally recommended by their school principal/head teacher. The recommendation should detail how the nominee fully meets the scholarship criteria
4. submits a CV and a written proposal of no more than 500 words outlining why they should be selected
5.describes separately the full-time course and the Institution they wish to attend
6.is willing to engage in publicity activities as requested by the Gisborne District Council and the Royal New Zealand Navy.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
The award shall not be granted if any of the candidates do not meet the required standards.
How do students apply?
Nominations close 30 October each year.
Make your application through your school using the application form.
Details on Gisborne District Council Website
How and when do students learn of the decision?
If there is only one recipient the scholarship may be paid out in 2 separate amounts during the year of receipt; the first at the commencement of the course of study and the second halfway through the course of study.
The award of the scholarship shall be based on these criteria:
the applicant's demonstration of the Navy core values of commitment, courage and comradeship within life such as school, sport and in the community
the positive effect the opportunity for tertiary study would have on the applicant's life
the positive effect receiving the scholarship would have on the applicant's life.
History or background of award
The Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) Scholarship was established in 2009 as a replacement to the Blackpool Scholarship.
The scholarship may be terminated or revoked at any time on receipt of a report from the selection panel that the conduct or progress of the awardee has been unsatisfactory.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in November 2020.