O'Byrne/Jones Memorial Scholarship
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
Closing dates for applications
Next: 30 September 2022
Length of award
Number of awards offered
The scholarship will only be awarded once to any individual.
Purpose of award
This Scholarship is available to students of the piano wishing to pursue advanced studies. Southland students or students who have resided in Southland for a substantial period of time and who have attained Grade VIII qualifications are eligible to apply.
• Applicants must either currently live in Southland or have resided in Southland for a substantial period of time.
• Applicants must have attained a Grade 8 qualification in Piano.
• The scholarship is available to pursue advanced studies.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
The successful applicant will be required to undertake some form of community input using their music.
How do students apply?
Application forms are available from the contact details provided or can be downloaded from our website.
Please include a Tape/CD of your performance, verified by your present tutor.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Please ask Funder.
Invercargill City Council.
History or background of award
May Jones, nee O'Byrne, was a teacher of piano in Invercargill for 76 years. In 1978 Mrs Jones received the British Empire Medal in recognition of her service to music, and in 1984 was made an honorary fellow of the Trinity College of Music in London. This Scholarship is administered by the Invercargill City Council on behalf of the former Southland Community Arts Council.
Please list the names, addresses and telephone numbers of two persons prepared to be referees.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Invercargill City Council
Private Bag 90104, Invercargill 9840
0800 422 435
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in October 2020.