Graduate Women Wellington - First in Family Scholarship
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
$5,000 per annum stipend plus tuition fees up to $5,000 per annum.
Closing dates for applications
Next: 15 November 2021
Usually closes on 15 November.
Length of award
The Scholarship may be retained for three years providing an average B (approximately a 5 grade point average) grade is maintained. This is also dependant on funding available.
Number of awards offered
Each year one or more awards may be made.
Purpose of award
This Scholarship will be open to female students who are the 'first in family' to attend University. First in family is classed as the first person from the student's known family history (excluding step family members) to attend University study.
This Scholarship will be open to female students who:
* are the 'first in family' to attend University. First in family is classed as the first person from the student’s known family history (excluding step family members) to attend University study; and
* have University Entrance or equivalent and intend enrolling in full-time study at Victoria University the year following application; and
* are under the age of 25 years on 1 December in the year of application; and
* are New Zealand citizens or have New Zealand permanent resident status; and
* are currently enrolled at a Secondary School and reside in the Greater Wellington Region.
Preference will be given to students who, because of financial hardship, may not otherwise be able to undertake a University degree.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Recipients will be expected to report to Graduate Women Wellington at their request on their progress. Recipients also agree to make themselves available for any promotion surrounding the University, the Victoria Foundation and the Scholarship if requested.
How do students apply?
A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
The funds shall be paid to the successful recipient on confirmation of full-time enrolment at Victoria University.
Graduate Women Wellington.
History or background of award
Graduate Women Wellington (GWW) recognises the need to encourage the next generation of women to fulfil their potential and get amongst the best. They see this goal being fulfilled by assisting a female student who is 'first in the family' to attend university. They appreciate the value of providing a supportive environment where a student is mentored and equipped with life and work experience whilst studying.
* Graduate Women Wellington shall have regard not only to the academic ability of the candidate, but also to factors such as character, leadership,community service and contributions to cultural and/or sporting activities. Graduate Women Wellington shall select scholars who display promise
for the future and who will make the most of the opportunities presented by this award.
* The recipient of this scholarship will also agree to the following:
o Mentor Programme,
o Work Experience Programme.
* Recipients will be expected to report to Graduate Women Wellington at their request on their progress.
* Recipients also agree to make themselves available for any promotion surrounding the University, the Victoria Foundation and the Scholarship if requested.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
The Scholarships Office
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
+64 4 463 5557
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in November 2020.