Sir Edmund Hillary Medal
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Closing dates for applications
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- How and when do students learn of the decision?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- Additional information
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
$1,500 and a medal.
Closing dates for applications
Next: 30 November 2021
30 November each year
Length of award
Number of awards offered
Up to two
Purpose of award
The Hillary Medals will be offered on an annual basis to students currently on the Sir Edmund Hillary Programme, who will be completing their degree in the year of application.
To be eligible for consideration for the Award, applicants must demonstrate:
• a high level of academic achievement
• a very high level of achievement to date in either
• a sporting code, or
• a performing or creative art
• exceptional leadership qualities.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Awards will be made in the following areas:
• One medal will normally be awarded to a graduating student deemed to have performed at the highest level in a creative or performing arts discipline.
• One medal will normally be awarded to a graduating student deemed to have performed at the highest level in their chosen sport.
How do students apply?
Apply using the ONLINE Application form. The Award must be received by the University of Waikato Scholarships Office on the prescribed form by 30 November in each year.
Applicants should include with their application:
• A personal statement
• A curriculum vitae
• A reference from a person involved with an agency relevant to the applicant's sporting code or creative / performing art, attesting to the applicant's achievements and potential to further excel.
• A reference attesting to the applicants leadership qualities.
The personal statement submitted for this Award should cover the applicant's reasons for believing that they would make a suitable candidate for a Sir Edmund Hillary Medal. It should also highlight information relating to special contributions, demonstration of leadership, publications, and special milestones, and may include an insight into the candidate's longer-term aspirations. It may also include particular circumstances that might have impacted on the performance of the candidate at any time.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Successful applicants will be advised of the offer of an Award in writing and must advise the University's Scholarships Office of their acceptance of the offer by the prescribed date.
The Sir Edmund Hillary Scholarships Executive Group will decide on the recipients of the Sir Edmund Hillary Medal.
History or background of award
The award of the Hillary Medal was established in 2006, to recognize excellence in graduates of the Sir Edmund Hillary Programme.
The Sir Edmund Hillary Scholarships Executive Group may, at its discretion, require the applicant to undertake an interview or audition.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in December 2020.