Ngati Manawa Iwi Education Scholarship (Academic - 1 Year)
- Ngati Manawa Iwi Education Scholarship (Academic - 3 Years)
- Ngati Manawa Iwi Education Scholarship (Accomodation)
- HRC Māori Health Research Summer Studentships
- Kā Pūtea Grants
On this page
- What does the scholarship get me?
- Length of award
- Number of awards offered
- Purpose of award
- Selection criteria
- What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
- How do students apply?
- Decision makers
- History or background of award
- For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
What does the scholarship get me?
$5000 contribution to feesor other course related costs.
Closing dates for applications
Next: 1 July 2018
Length of award
One year tenure. Successful students are eligible to reapply.
Number of awards offered
Purpose of award
This scholarship is offered to offset the costs of fees or other course related costs.
• Be a registered beneficiary of Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Manawa, Murupara.
• Be an enrolled fulltime student of Victoria University of Wellington.
• Preference will be given to a students who are enrolled in te reo Māori, tikanga Māori or papers that are inclusive of a mātauranga Māori world view.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
The scholarship will be paid in 2 instalments and cease should a student end full time study.
Scholarship recipients are strongly encouraged to contribute positively to the university marae by volunteering some time to support the role and function of the marae, or by supporting other Ngāti Manawa/Māori students to have a positive university experience.
How do students apply?
• Provide a personal statement introducing themselves to the Grants Committee and to include a commitment by the student to ‘give back’ to the iwi in the future, and to state how s/he might do that.
• Provide written and signed references (from non-direct whanau sources) that speak to the students’ deservedness for the scholarship. The referees will need to state their relationship with the student (for example former school dean or teacher, sports coaches, church or cultural/marae/iwi leaders, employee) and should outline the student’s skills, talents or personal qualities that they have observed.
2 x Ngati Manawa Rūnanga or Charitable Trust trustees (or their nominated representative/s) along with 1 University representative, either the DVC (Māori) or her nominee.
History or background of award
This scholarship is funded by Ngāti Manawa Charitable Trust in conjunction with Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Manawa for the purpose of encouraging and financially supporting the successful pursuit of tertiary qualifications and leadership development for Ngāti Manawa.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact
The Scholarships Office
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
+64 4 463 5557
Every effort has been made to ensure the above information is current and correct. However, applicants should contact the appropriate administering body before making an application, as details do change frequently. The administrator of this record last updated this information in May 2018.