Tools to help your teen build their career
So your teen has made the big decision about what they want to do after school. Now they need to put a plan in action to make it happen. How they set goals and plan for their future will depend on whether they’ve decided to get a job straight out of school, get into a trade or do tertiary study. There are lots of things to consider, so we’ve got tips, advice and tools to help them get on track.
Setting career goals
Before they start researching work or study options, it’s a really good idea to encourage your teen to set some goals and write them down. This will help them create small, achievable tasks and stay focused.
How to achieve career goals – tips to share with your teen
- Write them down – be specific and keep it simple!
- Research – find out what you need to do to achieve your goals.
- Identify the obstacles – for example, do you need to gain new skills to get a certain job?
- Ask for support from friends, whānau or teachers – they can help to keep you motivated and on track.
An example of goal setting
- I want to become a horse trainer
Steps I'll take to achieve this goal:
- I'll do a National Certificate in Equine at the local polytech, which I will apply for in November.
- I'll try to find a part-time job next month as a stablehand, so I'm getting experience in the industry.
Always strive for long-term goals and make little goals first. For instance, if you want to be a world-class restaurant manager, start at the bottom and be a kitchen hand. Then take a night course on being a waiter while you are working as a kitchen hand. That way you can slowly work up the ladder.Jay Dunlop, mature student and part-time call centre worker
Pick your career planning tool kit
- YouTube website - check out our video series for advice on finding a job, CVs and interview tips
- Use our job hunting tips and advice, including how to create CVs and cover letters
- Find links to job vacancy and recruitment websites
- Find out how to interpret a job ad and what your teen needs to do to nail an application
- Learn about the employability skills your teen’s next boss is looking for
- Help your teen take the right steps with our finding a job action plan (Word – 126KB)
- Search our course database for information and study options
- What are the study and training options?
- Help your teen take the right steps with our action plan for tertiary study or training (Word – 228KB)
- Top tips to get ready for university
- How to get a scholarship – it’s easier than you think
- StudyLink website – find out about student loans and allowances
- YouTube website - check out our video series and be inspired by other students
Get in touch
We’re here to help. If you would like some more advice on how to transition from school to work or study, contact one of our experienced career advisers. Phone us free, even from a mobile, or chat online for expert advice.
Updated 26 Jan 2018