Bachelor of International Tourism and Hospitality Management
Ara Institute of Canterbury
Check out Fees Free to see whether you are eligible for a year of fees-free study or two years industry training. Contact your provider to confirm your study options meet the criteria.
New Zealand University Entrance: NCEA Level 3 (60 credits at level 3 and 20 credits at level 2 or higher) which must include 14 credits at Level 3 in each of three approved* subjects, and
* Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of 5 credits in reading, 5 credits in writing and
* Numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or above (specified achievement standards, or unit standards 26623, 26626, 26627)
Note: Students who have undertaken examinations other than NCEA (eg International Baccalaureate, Cambridge examination) should contact Ara for requirements.
Skills for tertiary study (including literacy and numeracy) may be acquired through study, work and/or life experience. Students who can demonstrate these skills while not meeting the above requirements may be approved for alternative entry. Literacy and numeracy assessments are available.
If English is not your first language you may also be required to provide evidence of your English language skills as listed below. If you have no evidence of your English language skills and are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, contact us for an assessment.
* IELTS 6.0 Academic (no lower than 5.5 in any subtest). For acceptable alternatives refer to the English Proficiency Outcomes Chart on Ara's website.
Note: IELTS scores used must be taken from a single IELTS Test Report Form and are valid for two years from the date of the test.
Students who have achieved NCEA Level 3 University Entrance requirements are not required to provide evidence of English language skills.
Applicants who meet the requirements for admission are accepted into the programme in the order their applications are received.
About the course
What can I expect out of this qualification?
The degree will:
* Support growth in the tourism and hospitality industry in New Zealand while improving the quality of the customer experience.
* Meet the industries need for graduates with the applied skills, knowledge, strategic and critical thinking skills to quickly move into management and leadership roles.
* Produce graduates with industry competencies, understandings, strategic and critical thinking skills to be in demand in the labour market and be able to quickly gain and succeed in high reward leadership and management positions.
* Meet the needs of international partners by delivering a degree level qualification, whose graduates are sought after in New Zealand and internationally.
* Provide new entrants to the tourism and hospitality industry with a qualification pathway into leadership roles.
* Through regulations and Ara policies enable those with current experience in the industry and formal or informal learning to have access to advancement through the qualification.
* Enable graduates to enhance the industry through acquisition of cultural knowledge and understandings of New Zealand and what makes it unique.
What graduates earn
Graduates who studied Tourism at this level can earn:
Median earnings one year after study
Median earnings two years after study
Median earnings five years after study
Status one year after study
Employment rate two years after study
Employment rate two years after study
Data as at November 2022
Examples of related scholarships
Betty Loughhead Soroptimist Scholarship Trust
The Betty Loughhead Soroptimist Scholarship Trust - Secretary
Previous awards have generally been given in the region of $3,000 - $5,000 (per award).
Waitaha-A-Hei / University of Waikato Scholarship
University of Waikato - Scholarships Office
This information comes from Generosity New Zealand. For more scholarships, search their givME database (formerly called BreakOut) via your college, university or local library website.
Main Campus Office
Free phone: 0800 242 476
Phone: (03) 940 8669
Fax: (03) 366 6544
NZQA supplies course information based on material from the provider.
MyQ is now closed. Find out more about MyQ