Doctor of Professional Practice
Otago Polytechnic Ltd
Mixed Field Programmes not elsewhere classified
Check out Fees Free to see whether you are eligible for a year of fees-free study or two years industry training. Contact your provider to confirm your study options meet the criteria.
The minimum entry requirements are:
1. A master's qualification at the standard of Excellence or Credit, or the equivalent (eg A or B grade, Honours 1 or 2), and evidence to the satisfaction of the Research and Post-Graduate Committee to demonstrate:
* extensive professional experience of an appropriate kind, relevant to the stated field of practice (for example 7-10 years);
* ability and willingness to undertake successfully a self-managed academic process;
* an established professional relationship and/or employment/self-employment with the opportunity to undertake projects, inquiries or other work-based activity;
* demonstrated academic writing and researching skills at postgraduate level.
2. International candidates must demonstrate that they have equivalent experience and qualifications as domestic entrants. Those whose first language is not English must provide evidence of English language competence to IELTS academic band score of 6.5 (overall), with no individual bands less than 6.0, or equivalent.
3. Negotiated entry may be possible where a person has already provided evidence of master's or doctoral level work, e.g. in publications, artefacts, films etc., and research skills are evident at appropriate levels.
Acceptance as a doctoral student will depend the availability of mentoring in the area of the candidate's research interests and a professional work-based relationship to act as the site of research (note that professional workplace is not necessarily an employment relationship).
About the course
What can I expect out of this qualification?
Graduates of this programme are thought leaders in their organisation, iwi, field or community, who make substantial, sustainable and original contributions to knowledge and practice development in diverse communities and cultural contexts.
Examples of related scholarships
Graduate Women Wellington - First in Family Scholarship
Victoria University of Wellington - The Scholarships Office
$5,000 per annum stipend plus tuition fees up to $5,000 per annum.
This information comes from Generosity New Zealand. For more scholarships, search their givME database (formerly called BreakOut) via your college, university or local library website.
NZQA supplies course information based on material from the provider.
MyQ is now closed. Find out more about MyQ