Bachelor of Education (Primary)
Laidlaw College Incorporated
Education not elsewhere classified
Check out Fees Free to see whether you are eligible for a year of fees-free study or two years industry training. Contact your provider to confirm your study options meet the criteria.
General Admission Requirements
* No secondary schooling or NCEA level 1 attainment or equivalent: Entry assessment required
* NCEA level 2 attainment or equivalent: Open entry
NCEA Equivalence can include:
* NZ School Certificate
* Sixth Form Certificate
* Overseas equivalent qualifications, including IB and CIE
* Other NZQA level 1 or 2 certificates in relevant disciplines to Laidlaw programmes
* The following may be accepted as equivalent at our discretion and the applicant may need to sit assessment for entry:
o Reference/support/documentation from employer
o Evidence of level of academic achievement or a portfolio of work for home-schooled students
All equivalences must be documented.
Entry Assessment includes a literacy test. Dates for assessment will be advised.
English Language Requirements
Applicants must meet both the Academic and English language requirements for this programme. In addition to the requirements outlined above applicants for whom English is not their first language must use one of the following methods to demonstrate that they have the required level of English proficiency to study in New Zealand:
* gained NCEA level 3 and met New Zealand University Entrance requirements; or
* holds a Bachelor's degree of at least three years from New Zealand, Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, South Africa, the United Kingdom or the United States of America; or
* achieved a Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA); or
* achieved the required score, as indicated in the following subsections, in one of the following internationally recognised English proficiency tests, within the preceding two years:
o International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
o University of Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
o University of Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
o University of Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE)
o International English for Speakers of Other Languages qualifications by City and Guilds (IESOL)
o Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PToE)
o New Zealand Certificate in English Language (NZCEL)
o Testing of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
The requirement for this programme is:
* IELTS 5.5 with a minimum of 5.0 in reading and writing OR
* Pearson Test of English (Academic) score of 42 OR
* equivalent (see http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/about-us/our-role/legislation/nzqa-rules/nzqf-related-rules/the-table/).
About the course
What can I expect out of this qualification?
The Bachelor of Education (Primary) is a 3-year professional degree (level 7). The degree is delivered as a special character Christian teacher education programme that integrates a distinctively Freirean conception of teaching and learning with the Code and Standards of the Teaching Profession (with Support). The delivery of the degree is site-based (Waitakere, Christchurch) with modes: face to face delivery, blended learning, school-based learning, field-based components and practicum.
The aim of this programme is to provide primary, intermediate, middle and area schools in the state, integrated and private sectors, with graduates who meet the Code and Standards for the Teaching Profession. Such graduates have a robust understanding of curriculum, teaching and learning, reflection and research as a teacher, Te Tiriti o Waitangi, cultural responsiveness particularly for Māori and Pacific ākonga, and their own identities and Christian faith.
This programme will be suited to those who will be capable of professional teaching practice and developing collaborative relationships with learners and colleagues.
What graduates earn
Graduates who studied Education at this level can earn:
Median earnings one year after study
Median earnings two years after study
Median earnings five years after study
Status one year after study
Employment rate two years after study
Employment rate two years after study
Data as at November 2022
NZQA supplies course information based on material from the provider.
MyQ is now closed. Find out more about MyQ