NZQF Certificate in Early Childhood Education
Toitu te Waiora Community, Health, Education and Social Services Workforce Development Council
Nannying and Early Childhood Care
Check out Fees Free to see whether you are eligible for a year of fees-free study or two years industry training. Contact your provider to confirm your study options meet the criteria.
The Practice-based care optional strand of this qualification requires practical experience (placement) within an early childhood setting. These placements will require the candidate to meet the local regulatory requirements.
Relevant supporting resources:
- Action Plan for Pacific Education 2020-2030 - available at www.education.govt.nz/our-work/overall-strategies-and-policies/action-plan-for-pacific-education-2020-2030/
- Early Learning Action Plan (ELAP) - available at https://conversation.education.govt.nz/assets/ELSP/ELAP/ELAP-dashboard-20.08.20-FINAL.pdf
- Ka Hikitia and Tau Mai Te Reo - available at www.education.govt.nz/assets/Documents/Ministry/Strategies-and-policies/Ka-Hikitia/TauMaiTeReoFullStrategyEnglish.pdf
- Kei Tua o te Pae - Assessment for learning - Early Childhood - available at www.education.govt.nz/early-childhood/teaching-and-learning/assessment-for-learning/kei-tua-o-te-pae-2/
- Tapasā - Cultural competencies framework for teachers of Pacific learners - available at https://teachingcouncil.nz/resource-centre/tapasa/
- Tātaiako - Cultural competencies framework for teachers of Māori learners - available at https://teachingcouncil.nz/resource-centre/tataiako-cultural-competencies-for-teachers-of-maori-learners/
- Te Kete Ipurangi (TKI) - Te Whāriki online resources, which can be accessed at tewhariki.tki.org.nz/, including - He Māpuna te Tamaiti - supporting Social and Emotional Competence in Early Learning; Talking together, Te kōrerorero
- Te Whare Tapa Whā - available at www.health.govt.nz/our-work/populations/maori-health/maori-health-models/maori-health-models-te-whare-tapa-wha
- Te whatu pōkeka - available at www.education.govt.nz/early-childhood/teaching-and-learning/assessment-for-learning/te-whatu-pokeka-english/
- Teaching Council Our Code Our Standards - available at https://teachingcouncil.nz/professional-practice/our-code-our-standards/
- The New Zealand Curriculum - available at https://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/The-New-Zealand-Curriculum
About the course
What can I expect out of this qualification?
This qualification is for exclusive delivery outside of Aotearoa New Zealand.
This qualification is intended to provide individuals outside of Aotearoa New Zealand with the skills and knowledge to provide and/or support the education and care of infants, toddlers, and young children in a range of offshore early childhood contexts, including those underpinned by specific philosophies.
The graduates will be able to work independently or as part of a team in a range of early childhood contexts, including those underpinned by specific philosophies, to support the education and care of infants, toddlers and young children.
Graduates of the optional strand in Practice-based care will have the additional skills required to apply practical-based care to work as educators outside of Aotearoa New Zealand in an early childhood context.
This qualification does not lead to teacher certification, entry to further early childhood education study or to employment in Aotearoa New Zealand.
What graduates earn
Graduates who studied Human Welfare Studies and Services at this level can earn:
Median earnings one year after study
Median earnings two years after study
Median earnings five years after study
Status one year after study
Employment rate two years after study
Employment rate two years after study
Data as at November 2022
Examples of related scholarships
Betty Loughhead Soroptimist Scholarship Trust
The Betty Loughhead Soroptimist Scholarship Trust - Secretary
Previous awards have generally been given in the region of $3,000 - $5,000 (per award).
Waitaha-A-Hei / University of Waikato Scholarship
University of Waikato - Scholarships Office
This information comes from Generosity New Zealand. For more scholarships, search their givME database (formerly called BreakOut) via your college, university or local library website.
Main Campus Office
NZQA supplies course information based on material from the provider.
MyQ is now closed. Find out more about MyQ