Bachelor of Applied Science
Ara Institute of Canterbury Ltd
Human Movement and Sports Science
Check out Fees Free to see whether you are eligible for a year of fees-free study or two years industry training. Contact your provider to confirm your study options meet the criteria.
New Zealand University Entrance: NCEA Level 3 (60 credits at level 3 and 20 credits at level 2 or higher) which must include:
* 14 credits at Level 3 in each of:
- Biology or Human Biology or Physical Education.
- another subject, preferably Core Health/ Health Education, Physics, Statistics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Geography and Psychology. (Human Nutrition specialisation applicants must have a minimum of 14 credits in Chemistry at Level 2 or equivalent)
- one other subject from the list of approved subjects* and
* Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of 5 credits in reading, 5 credits in writing and
* Numeracy/Maths - 10 credits at Level 1 or above (specified achievement standards, or unit standards 26623, 26626, 26627)
OR one of the following:
* Successful completion of NZ3563 New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4).
For the Health Promotion or Human Nutrition Specialisations:
* NZ2860 New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation, Level 4; Ara Pre-Health Pathway (HN and PAHP) or equivalent.
For the Sport and Exercise Science Specialisation:
* NZ2860 New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation, Level 4; Bachelor of Applied Science Pathway (SES) or equivalent.
Note: Students who have undertaken examinations other than NCEA (e.g. International Baccalaureate, Cambridge examination) should contact Ara for requirements.
* NZQA approved subjects: see http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualifications-standards/awards/university-entrance/approved-subjects/
Applicants who are unable to evidence that they meet Academic Entry Requirements, but who can demonstrate acquired skills for tertiary study gained through study, work and/or life experience, may be approved for alternative entry. Contact Ara for advice.
* Consent to Disclosure of Information Successful applicants will be required to complete a New Zealand Police Consent to Disclosure of Information form depending on their placement. The form will be sent by Ara to the Police Licensing and Vetting Service, and returned in confidence to the Head of Department. Information on the NZ Police Vetting Service is available from the New Zealand Police website.
* Provide evidence of good character and personal attributes via two referee report(s).
Applicants for whom English is not their first language may also be required to provide evidence of English language skills as listed below. Applicants who do not have evidence of English language skills and are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, should contact Ara for advice.
* IELTS 6.0 Academic (lower than 5.5 in any subtest). For acceptable alternatives refer to the English Proficiency Outcomes Chart on Ara Institute of Canterbury's website.
Note: IELTS scores used must be taken from a single IELTS Test Report Form and are valid for two years from the date of the test.
Students who have achieved NCEA Level 3 University Entrance requirements are not required to provide evidence of English language skills.
About the course
What can I expect out of this qualification?
The aim of this qualification is to provide a student- centred learning environment for school-leavers, those seeking additional education in applied science, or those seeking a change in career. The BAppSc will enable students to gain knowledge, develop skills and enhance personal attributes to work in the health and sport industries Graduates will be able to critically evaluate and apply their knowledge, skills and attributes to the constantly changing contexts of industry.
What graduates earn
Graduates who studied Other Health at this level can earn:
Median earnings one year after study
Median earnings two years after study
Median earnings five years after study
Status one year after study
Employment rate two years after study
Employment rate two years after study
Examples of related scholarships
New Zealand Institute of Sport Scholarships
New Zealand Institute of Sport
This information comes from Generosity New Zealand. For more scholarships, search their givME database (formerly called BreakOut) via your college, university or local library website.
NZQA supplies course information based on material from the provider.
MyQ is now closed. Find out more about MyQ