Doctor of Musical Arts

Victoria University of Wellington

Subject area



Check out Fees Free to see whether you are eligible for a year of fees-free study or two years industry training. Contact your provider to confirm your study options meet the criteria.

Entry requirements

(i) completed a Master of Music with First Class Honours (or Second Class Honours, Division 1) or Master of Musical Arts with Distinction or Merit; (ii) passed an audition, in the case of a candidate in performance, or submitted an acceptable portfolio

About the course

What can I expect out of this qualification?

This new qualification is proposed specifically as a way to foster postgraduate research in creative work, in accordance both with international standards and degree paths in New Zealand. The three-year degree is put forward in two parts, Part One consisting of a provisional year comprising 30 pts of coursework, 30 pts of research proposal development (including a public presentation), and 60pts of portfolio/public performance, and Part Two consisting of a 240 pt thesis.

Scholarship information

Examples of related scholarships

New Zealand/Aotearoa Music Scholarships

Provided by:

Creative New Zealand - Programme Administrator



$16,000 or less

Read more

Clare Galambos-Winter Scholarships in Violin Performance

Provided by:

Victoria University of Wellington - The Scholarships Office



Please see additional information

Read more

This information comes from Generosity New Zealand. For more scholarships, search their givME database (formerly called BreakOut) via your college, university or local library website.

Contact details

Main Campus Office

Free phone: 0800 842 864
Phone: (04) 472 1000
Fax: (04) 499 4601

Please contact the provider for details of where this qualification is offered.

The MyQ data is compiled by the Tertiary Education Commission based on responses to the MyQ survey provided by recent graduates of this qualification.

NZQA supplies all other information based on material from the provider.

What to do if you find incorrect course information